Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference in types of spaces - team space, documentation space, knowledge base?

Chris Worthington February 23, 2017

Newbie to Confluence. When I create a space, I'm given several options and I have no clue as to which to choose. 

We want to set up a basic Wiki for our company, so I figure each main dept will have its own space. Since this would entail basic info sharing, should I choose a "team" space, "documentation" or "knowledge base"? It seems like the latter two are quite similar and the former is ambiguous. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2017

Think of the types more as templates - they determine the initial layout and default data (including local templates), but once created, they don't really have much effect.  The knowledge base flag can be useful if you are integrating with JIRA Service Desk.

As for your specific question, I would look at what each department is trying to use confluence for - if it's going to be mostly documentation on something, use documentation, if it's a space to do team activity (record meetings, blog about stuff, team updates, information on people and teams), use team.  Neither one will prevent you from creating pages of other types.

Chris Worthington February 26, 2017

Great, thank you. That's the easiest to understand answer I've found. Thanks.

Like James Cook likes this
Pete Peric October 19, 2017

Which space blueprint would be suitable for an HR space? Team, Documentation or Blank?

Pauline Monroy November 3, 2018

Depending on the needs and goals of the HR team : I figure it would be Documentation space : share policies, contracts, etc. If the need is to on-board a new member, I believe the documentation space should be enough but in the scenario wherein you have to on-board a technical professional who needs a lot of questions answered, I believe a KB with inputs from the Tech Team would be more useful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events