Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between a page and a blog in confluence?

Dharmesh Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2019

Yesterday, I was trying to use the Blog Post Macro and I realised that some posts in confluence are considered as Pages and some are considered as Blogs

Also,  I heard that Pages should be used when it could act as source of information for something for a long time while Blogs are for one time dissemination of information. 

However, I still don't get the difference between these two. Moreover, why is there such a difference?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2019

Blogs are not shown inside the page hierarchy, but instead use a published date based sorting. Indeed, blogs should be used for content that is relevant for a certain time span: Announcements, outages, etc.

When our company introduced Confluence we (IT) totally underestimated the blog usage. The users started using it on their own & blogging quickly became the main announcement channel in our company. There is one important point: A user can subscribe to be notified for every blog post by mail. But he will only receive a single mail on the blog post & can then decide to watch the blog post. We also use an app/addon Lively Blog Posts & added the macro to our intranet startpage. This allows for a label controlled publishing of blog posts on important pages (only certain users are allowed to set these labels). Also blog post are formatted & displayed with images in a timeline based column.

There are several tools out now, which allow switch a page to a blog post & vice versa (Script Runner, Lively Blogs, Space Admin...)

Our company would really miss the blogging function of Confluence.

Best

JP

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2019

Sorry, just found out that you're on cloud. Don't know if the functions & apps exist there, too...

Like # people like this
1 vote
Malik Mangier September 30, 2019

Hi Dharmesh Singh,

I'd suggest having a look at https://www.atlassian.com/company/events/summit-europe/watch-sessions/2018/teams-culture-workspaces/how-to-win-friends-and-confluence-people , there's a great bit about blogs that would give you more insights.

Cheers,

Malik.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events