What is the best way to migrate Confluence from Oracle to MySql (or Postgres)?

brad July 22, 2019

We have an OLD (3.49)  on-prem internal Confluence install that uses Oracle for the database.  We are considering migrating the data from it into a new Confluence instance.  The new instance will probably run on EC2 in AWS.  I'd like to use either MySQL or Postrgres with the new instance.   What is the best way to move the legacy data?  

The existing db is roughly 25 GB.  I have seen the statement:

"Large data sets will require third party database migration tools."

at  https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-to-another-database-148867.html

Does a 20-30GB database count as a "Large Data Set"?

What 3rd party tools exist and which have the best track record.

We do have a lot of legacy plugins, but right now, we would probably accept some "breakage" to get things up to a modern state.  Maybe we would be better served to export/import individual spaces...

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2019

Hello Brad,

Thank you for including details into what you’re wanting to do with Confluence. Your database size is not a massive amount of data. With this said, you should be able to perform the export/backup and restore that is referenced within the article you linked. There are a few things to consider when moving forward.

1. Ensure you're restoring into the current version of Confluence you’re running to avoid disruption or issues. You’ll need to install another instance of 3.x and restore your backup into that.
  2. Alternatively, you can upgrade to 6.x on your current instance (Upgrade from 3.latest > 4.latest > 5.latest > then to 6.x). Once upgraded you can then perform the backup and restore process into a new instance of 6.x. This will also make you eligible for support outside of Community.
  3. Another option would be to upgrade Confluence to a version which allows you to export to a cloud product and avoid the database migration altogether. More about this may be found at Plan your Confluence Server to Cloud migration.

I hope this information proves helpful with migrating your data to a new instance and a new database.
Regards,
Stephen Sifers

brad July 23, 2019

Thank you.  I was hoping that we were small enough to use the standard tools.  It sounds like that is the case.  I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for your time,

Brad Guenther

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Espen Sandall November 16, 2020

Hi Brad,

We plan to migrate our Confluence instance from from Oracle to SQL Server (once we've upgraded to v7). Estimated size of our database is about twice of yours.

May I ask how the process of moving to a different database platform went. Did you use xml export/import to migrate? Any challenges on the way?

Cheers, Espen

0 votes
Emily Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hi @brad and Community!

We've just built the beta of a solution to help ease migrations from Server/Data-Center-on-prem to Data-Center-on-AWS-Quickstarts.

Would you be interested to join our beta program and try out this solution? If you're interested, or would like to find out more, please email me at echan@atlassian.com. 

Vadym Khanko March 10, 2020

Hi Emily,

I am trying to migrate from Oracle to MySQL (atlassian-confluence-6.15.4, large DB). Server/Data-Center-on-prem->Server/Data-Center-on-prem. Just wondering, maybe your toolset could do the job?

Thanks,

Vadym Khanko

Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2020

Hi Vadym,

the tool we have released is called "Jira Data Center Migration" for migration path from on-prem to AWS

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Introducing-the-Jira-Data-Center-Migration-App/ba-p/1430029

Unfortunately, the tool does not help to do DB migration at the moment. 

If you have a TAM or access to our technical support team. It will be a good idea to check with them for best practise for your case.

Cheers

Mike Ni

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events