What is the best practice for setting up the structure in Confluence?

Hannah-Rose Saul February 7, 2013

I am looking at setting up a team structure where we have multiple working groups.

Each of those groups want to collaborate on tasks (some shared and some individual).

If I set up my structure by working groups as spaces and tasks as pages then a task cannot be shared between groups.

On the other hand is each task is given a space how can I group the spaces so that a manager of the working team can see all of the tasks that they are responsible for?

Is it possible to have a space for each task and a space for each group and include links in the group to each task? The problem I found with this is that spaces tend to create silos that content from other spaces cannot be seen (for example a page tree) on the top space and navigation back to the teams' space is difficult.

Another thought I had was to set up each task as a separate space and categorise them by the team that would be working on it. But then I need an easy way for someone to navigate around their categories and the team can't have their own home page.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2013

Hannah,

With your set up it is absolutely possible to share information across multiple spaces. You can follow our guide on assigning space permissions which I will include below. This will allow you to set up tiers of user permissions to restrict content to a specific user population.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Assigning+Space+Permissions

My idea for aggregating information together would be centered around using the content by label macro. This macro works across all spaces and would allow you to tag related content together by label. Our document on using this macro is included below.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Content+by+Label+Macro

Hannah-Rose Saul February 9, 2013

I have had a play around with the Macro and I am just wondering if there is a way to sort the list so that it appears as

Task 1 (Space)
page 1
page 2
Task 2 (Space)
page 1
page 2

Also is there a way to edit the labels on multiple pages at once?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events