What is Maximum upload size in Confluence ?

What is Maximum upload size in Confluence ?

1 answer

2 votes

The default is 10Mb, but you can change it in Admin -> Attachments.  Don't go too large though - Confluence isn't designed to be an upload/download manager or a file repository, and you can get timeout problems with very large files.

Nic, what do you find to be a tolerable maximum? We - large instance with 10's of thousands of pages and attachments - have had it set for years at 100MB with no issues.

I've not seen anything significant up to 100Mb, so that's the highest I tend to set it before I start resisting the requests for higher amounts with any gusto. 250Mb is the point at which the problems tend to start in my expericnce - it's where I start telling people to use proper file storage and not to rely on being able to attach or read files with Confluence.

Oops, I also wanted to say that it's on a file-by-file basis - doesn't matter if you've got hundreds of thousands of large files, it's just that for any one selected large file, you can run into upload/download problems. Most of the time, even much bigger files will work. You just can't *rely* on the upload or download working.

Nic, Thanks for the insights - appreciate the full explanations as this was a topic I had wondered about for a while as I have received requests to raise it too. We started at 50MB, raised it to 100 MB and I think will stop there. :-)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

900 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you