Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if you LIKE duplicate page titles?

Shawn Wilson August 22, 2017

Sometimes, for reasons of parallelism, you want more than one sub-page in the space to have the same title.

- Finance Department

-- Overview

-- Goals

-- Personnel

- Administration

-- Overview

-- Goals

-- Personnel

- Marketing

-- Overview

-- Goals

-- Personnel

Of course, Confluence doesn't allow this. Honestly, I'm almost glad: if, througout the wiki, if there is a "FAQ" page in every space, and you enter "FAQ" in the search box, you get multiple entries and you have to examine them to see which one you want. It would be worse if the a space had multiple "FAQ" pages.

Anyway, I'm looking for a workaround; either a technical one, or some kind of elegant page-naming protocol that preserves both clarity and parallelism.

EDIT: ...OR a way to do it with a User Macro? If I could hide some of characters in the title? That way "Overview -P" and "Overview -M" are different, but in the Page Tree and elsewhere, the readers see them both as "Overview".

3 answers

1 vote
Rebecca M. August 22, 2017

For naming conventions, what about:

Finance Overview or Overview (Finance)

Finance Goals or Goals (Finance)

Finance Personnel or Personnel (Finance)

If you have some widely recognized abbreviation/acronym for the departments, you could use those too.

Shawn Wilson August 22, 2017

That's good in most cases; I can try that.

However, we also have some pages in different sections that are duplicates (actually, one is a link to another).

Imagine each department has a "For more information" page that's the same. If I put "Finance" before one and "Marketing" before the other, it makes them sound like they're different instead of the same.

Any thoughts?

Rebecca M. August 23, 2017

Is there a reason you need an identical "For more info" page in each section?

If not, you could consider putting the "For more info" page at the same level as the Finance, Administration, and Marketing pages. Then link to that page, either from the Finance, etc., pages, or from each of the child pages. So your page tree would look like:

- Finance Department

-- Finance Overview

-- Finance Goals

-- Finance Personnel

- Administration

-- Administration Overview

-- Administration Goals

-- Administration Personnel

- Marketing

-- Marketing Overview

-- Marketing Goals

-- Marketing Personnel

- For more information

Shawn Wilson August 23, 2017

I'm sorry I make up an example that doesn't display all my requirements. I was afraid it would complicate the question, but maybe that would have been better than repeatedly answering you with "Yes, but..."

In answer to your question: we have six Departments, and some pages that apply to two or three of them, not all.

If (in your suggestion) the "For More Information" applies to Finance and Marketing but not Admin or four other departments, would the readers falsely believe that it does apply to them all?

0 votes
Adam January 21, 2020

Another suggestion, even though it doesn't look so professional, would be to subtly use Latin script letters in the titles of pages, so that each page will have differentiation, for e.g.

Ŕoles & Responsibilities 

vs.

Roles & Responsibilities 

Credit to Rasika

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2017

The Scroll Versions add-on allows you to create duplicated page titles (in some tricky way). Try that.

Shawn Wilson August 24, 2017

I don't think we'll have the budget for add-ons. But however Scroll Versions does it, maybe there's a way to do the same thing with a User Macro? How does it accomplish this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events