What happens when an attachment is deleted

Tim Oldendorf
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018

Trying looking through the documentation but can't find what I need. Hoping one of you smart people can help me out.

What happens when an attachment is deleted from a page? Either deleting using built in delete function in Confluence or using a plugin such as Page Assistant?

Does it move it to trash AND delete it from the server? Or does it not remove from the server until we purge the trash? If we use a plugin - will that move it to the trash?

Any explanation is appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2018

Tim,

Deleted files can be restored from the trash. You'll need to be a space admin to do this. 

See topic under Delete an Attachment File
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/manage-files-139415.html

victor

Tim Oldendorf
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

Thank you for your response.

I understand how to delete and how to restore from the trash.

What I am looking for is what exactly is happening when an attachment is deleted. When you delete and attachment and it is moved to trash - does that remove it from the attachments location on the server?

Or does it not remove it from the server until you purge the trash?

We just have a ton of duplicate attachments and I am trying to make sure that when I delete them from a page - that they are permanently removed.

Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

Tim,

Correct, you've to purge the attachments in the trash.

Victor

Tim Oldendorf
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

So as long a the attachments are located in the trash, they are still being stored on the server?

Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

Correct.

Tim Oldendorf
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2018

Perfect, Thanks!

Akhila Gade April 13, 2023

Could you specify the path where these deleted attachments are stored in server?

Thanks 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events