What happened to 'code block' in new page editor

alan.gordon January 28, 2020

Started a new page and was told I need to use the new format. I am doing so but now wasting a lot of time trying to find where 'code block' went. Does anyone know how to insert a code block in new page editor system?

Thanks. 

3 answers

0 votes
alan.gordon January 30, 2020

Continuing on this theme of 'code block' going away, I am now worried about the hundreds of  pages I have that use 'code block.'  Once this feature is no longer supported, will I still be able to edit those pages and their 'code blocks' in the future?

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

@alan.gordon ,

When the "old" editor goes away, the current Code Block macro will convert to the new Code Snippet.

From the Atlassian page Confluence Cloud Editor Roadmap  :

This macro was removed from the new editor and replaced with the Code Snippet command (type /code). Conversion removes the Code Block macro, moves the text into a Code snippet, and allows you to choose the appropriate language.

Darryl

Kok Wai, Leong March 22, 2021

Remove the old code block macro is the worst decision ever. The recent code block macro is useless. If you compare the theme formatting, the old one is obviously better than the new one.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jason H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

You can also create a code block using three back ticks:

```

Ben Forbes January 28, 2020

Thanks Jason, but per Alan's concerns, the three back ticks creates a "Code snippet" and not the old "Code block" that allowed customisation.

EDIT: Maybe you can shed some light on what it takes to get features into the new Confluence editor? The JIRA ticket says "Gathering interest", but otherwise people just have no idea what is happening behind the scenes in the Atlassian development team.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66437

Like Shawn Connelly likes this
Jason H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

Ah, I see.

Shawn Connelly February 4, 2020

Hi Ben,

Get the free, better code macro. It works with the new editor and is significantly better than the regressed code snippit nonsense.

new editor - code block.png

Is anything actually superior with the new editor? Is Atlassian punking us?

Like # people like this
Ben Forbes February 4, 2020

Thanks Shawn, looks good.

Darryl St_ Pierre
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

Great to know this is available @Shawn Connelly !

alan.gordon February 4, 2020

I just tried on a new page and the "Better Code Block" does not show up! How is it enabled?

Kok Wai, Leong March 22, 2021

Hi @Shawn Connelly , can you share how can we enabled the "Better Code Block" option? I can't see the option when creating a new page.

0 votes

In the editor toolbar, you should see a Plus symbol with a down arrow. The "Code snippet" option is there. Alternatively, in the editor, start typing forward slash "/" and then "code" and it will show inline.

image.png

alan.gordon January 28, 2020

Thanks for your quick response, and I did try to use Code Snipit but it is so much inferior to Code Block it is not even a consideration!   You must have at the very least these missing features restored before considering using it:

1) Collapsible container

2) Header / Title

3) Free formatting text without line numbers

Like # people like this

There's a lot of functionality regressions in the new editor. Hopefully they have a plan to deal with these but based on their responses to other issues on JIRA, they don't really listen to user feedback. Here's the relevant JIRA issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-66437

Like # people like this
Michael Nielsen May 11, 2020

"They don't really listen to user feedback"

Understatement of the year.

Like Casey Meijer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events