What exactly is a Confluence user?

Garry Knott July 7, 2021

Before even trialling Confluence I want to know exactly how we will be billed. Currently using Jira helpdesk we appear to be billed per user, (which is in fact per agent).
Confluence has the same wording for costs, (per user), but is this being billed for site "admins" or everyone who can access the site.

The main reason for confusion here is that I don't know if the current users need to be logged in to view confluence pages, (in which case it seems we will be billed per user), or not, (in which case I assume it's admins/agents), we are billed for and count as users.

Can somebody clarify this and remove the confusion?

Many Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

It is more simple in Confluence, because there is only one application (Jira has three, licenced separately and jointly - a licence for Software or Service Management effectively includes a Core licence too)

A person consumes a licence if they can log into Confluence.  Admin, confluence user, any other group that has the global "can log in" permission - they all count towards the licence count.

Note 1:   Users you've flagged as dis-usered do not count (they can't log in if they're dis-usered), and the count is de-duplicated - someone in the admin group and the login group has two permissions to log in, but still only takes up one "seat"

Note 2:  Customers of a service desk (in Jira) do not need a Confluence login to read Confluence pages in a knowledge-base space associated with a service desk, their Jira accounts let them in

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events