What does "App is not responding..." mean during a page edit?

Shawn in Van December 20, 2017

Hello all,

I search and was surprised that no one has asked this question, yet it appears to be rather common in my organization (> 100 users).

Quite often, when I am editing a Confluence (cloud) page, I will see the following "error" appear on the Chrome browser status bar, "App is not responding. Wait or cancel?

Usually it goes away after a few seconds but today, it lasted for over ten minutes. Even though this "error" was visible, it did not appear to effect my editing and I was able to save my edits without difficulty. 

I'm guessing that it is a client-side error and possibly related to the Chrome browser's interaction with Confluence. Does anyone know what this error means? 

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
David Benson January 5, 2018
0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Shawn,

It can often be due to a 3rd party add-on that is not responding. We have seen this with add-ons such as Gliffy, and Salesforce connectors, for example.

Can you tell us if there are any 3rd party macros  being used on the page?

Otherwise you will need to have a case raised for you in our Support Queue for us to have a look at your logs. If you'd like assistance with that I can do that for you now.

Regards,

Shannon

Shawn in Van December 20, 2017

Thank you for your reply Shannon.

My motivation for asking was to determine if we are the only ones experiencing this message. 

I will test using a different browser, check to see if it is caused by a 3rd party macro, etc.

Because it seems like a benign error message, I am not too concerned at this time so I won't bother to engage Atlassian support.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2017

Hi Shawn,

I know for sure I have seen this before but various things could cause it, so it will always be best to have a look at your logs before determining the issue.

If it does start to bother you feel free to raise a request with the Cloud team and they can have a look at your instance directly.

Regards,

Shannon

Shawn in Van December 21, 2017

Thank you again, Shannon.

I'm only two weeks in on my new job and as long as the message appears to be harmless, it will have to be low-priority for a while.

But now that I know that it's not just me, I'll make observations, take notes and report back in about two months. Hopefully, I can contribute some useful information regarding this issue.

Best regards.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 21, 2017

Thank you for your help, Shawn! Keep us updated with what you find.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events