What does it mean when a group is marked "DEFAULT ACCESS GROUP"?

Peter Thorpe January 19, 2023

I can see that some groups in our confluence site are marked "DEFAULT ACCESS GROUP".
I am curious about what making a group default access means, for that group. What effect does it have on the members of the group?

I can't find anything definitive online.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Peter Thorpe ,

The default access group is basically the group that a user will added to by default for access to whichever product it has access to. If you look at the default access groups, each one is tied to a specific Atlassian product.

Here's a documentation on it:

https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/create-and-update-groups/

Hope this helps.

-Ben 

1 vote
Peter Thorpe January 19, 2023

Thanks very much for the response Ben,

I am trying to understand the difference between a group that is labelled as default and one that is not. Is it an important difference?

Kind regards

Peter

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

There's only that one difference. Those with the default access are added as default to those groups once a user gets invite to use the products on the site. For example, if you invite a user to access the confluence app on your site, they will be added to the confluence-user group to gain access to the site. 

Groups that don't use the labels are primarily use for permission within the app rather than product access. For example, adding group A to project A in Jira to be able to browse the project issue.

-Ben

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events