What causes the Content Encoding Error (Firefox) or the Cannot Decode Raw Data error (Safari)?

I have a corner case that is causing me fits. I happens only when users are on a specific VPN, and even then, only in one situation that we've found (so far).

Steps to re-create:

1. Go to any page that has more than one entry in the Page History.
  2. Click the Tools drop-down (...) and select Page History.
  3. In the Version column, click any version except the current one.

Result:

• In Firefox, this causes a Content Encoding Error.
  • In Safari, it causes a Cannot Decode Raw Data (NSSURL ErrorDomain: -1015) error.
  • In Chrome, it causes a 500 error.

I have googled these errors and tried every troubleshooting suggestion in the first 5 or 6 pages. I've verified our database encoding settings meet the Atlassian requirements. I've looked at headers and footers and left nav and everything else I can think of.

I suspect that it has something to do with the proxy servers that traffic is routed through when users are on that specific VPN, but I can't figure out what.

We are on Confluence 5.9.11 Server edition running on Linux/mysql.

Anyone have a thought about this? Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Oct 11, 2017

I have seen issues such as you are reporting as a result of gzip compression being enabled. Please try disabling it on your instance by following the reverse of the instructions to enable it: Compressing an HTTP Response within Confluence

After disabling http compression please try again and let me know if it helps.

Thanks so much, Ann! I gave your suggestion a try and got a different error which gave me helpful information. I think our problem may be caused by a bespoke add-on. I appreciate your help!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in New to Confluence

How to use Confluence Cloud for stakeholder management

Most of us don’t need much convincing that stakeholder management is important. It just makes sense that keeping everyone in-the-know on projects and assigning clearly defined roles is key to having ...

1,169 views 4 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you