Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes a table to be sortable?

Matt Uebel August 22, 2013

When I create tables in Confluence, I find that some tables become sortable (can click the header to sort a-z or z-a).

However, this isn't the case for every table.

What determines if a table is sortable or not?

8 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
David Gruber June 9, 2014

In my experience often the cause of a Confluence table not being sortable is that it was initially created by copy/pasting from an excel file. In this case just converting the first row from from highlighted/bold to a header doesn't solve it. What does work is creating a new table with the same header plus a blank row then copy/pasting in the non-header rows of the existing table (max of 20 at a time it seems).

Mark_McGuire October 28, 2014

Thanks, David. I saw the same thing. Tried to make the top row a header from a copied table, no dice. Copying to a new table created from within confluence, did the trick.

Like Mike Roger O Sullivan likes this
Mark_McGuire October 28, 2014
Amy Foster January 20, 2015

This worked for me too

Lucy Clark May 19, 2016

Thank you! So happy to have a solution to this!

selvakumar rajendran May 16, 2019

Awesome Really works thanks!

4 votes
Petch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2013

Steffen is basically correct.

If the first row is a heading row, then the table will be sortable. In addition though, if there are any merged cells in the table this will prevent it from being sortable.

Matt Uebel August 26, 2013

I have a table with header that contains text, links, emoticons and no merged cells. It is not sortable.

Petch
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2013

Matt - it may be that the first row is just a highlighted row (select the row and highlight with a colour - including grey), rather than a heading row. The differences are subtle (heading rows should be bold text by default), but they are different.

You can make sure the first row is a header by clicking the "Heading Row" button in the table toolbar (it will appear not to do anything if the first row just looks like a heading row but wasn't).

Without seeing the raw table markup I don't think I can guess more than that.

Like Javanshir.Mustafayev likes this
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

"Merged cells break sorting" <-- This was the key answer for me.

Like Katie Crick likes this
Michael Rudolph March 20, 2018

I have opened a feature request for confluence server to make tables with merged cells sortable. If you are interested in this feature to be implemented, please vote for it.

3 votes
John Digweed January 12, 2014

I had the same issue with a one of my tables. Using the Confluence source editor add on - I noted that I had a <colgroup> section defined before the <th> definitions. This was causing the table to not "autosort"

2 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2013

I thought it was quite simple (just from my experience):

A table automatically becomes sortable when the first row is a heading row.

1 vote
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2013

Hi Matt, as far as I know there are are three way that the table can be sorted. Based on Alphabet, number and date. Hope it helps.

0 votes
Vladimir Muravlev February 11, 2014

I also have several tables that are unsortable. Something special about them is they contain Word macro inside of expand macro. Many cells with word files hidden under {expand}.

BTW Table filter macro refuses to work on that tables too. It complains "We can't filter this complex table because of merged cells. Sorry.". Also there are no merged cells in these tables.

I guess a Word macro has something that makes table like having merged cells. Is a bug?

0 votes
Steffen Heller
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

@Matt:

I just put it to the test and created a table with a header that contains text, links, emoticons and no merged cells and it is still sortable.

my own testing has found the same thing. However, I still have tables that are not sortable

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2013

What version of Confluence? - This is likely less important than I initally thought. I would bet Steffen has the right of things. Can we see tables with sample data to replicate locally?

is version 5.1.3

Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Matt,

I was able to verify that those tables without header are unsortable in Cofluence 5.1.3.

Did you haev a chance to get us that sample data? I have a sneaking suspicion that your unsortable tables are missing the grey header rows.

I have a table with header (grey top row) that contains text, links, emoticons and no merged cells. It is not sortable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events