What browsers are supported by Confluence 5.1.5?

Marianna Vinitsky April 3, 2014

We recently upgraded to Confluence 5.1.5. Prior to upgrade we built a very rich set of pages using Wiki Markup extensively to create content with tabs and imported Excel files. Following the upgrade all our pages content is completely messed up - decks and cards order is completely different. We are using IE 8. Editor is now very hard to use, its behavior is unpredictable. Edit buttons, such as preview, save, attachments are more often hidden then not - you have to play with the page zoom to see them. Stangely I am not seeing complaints or suggestions on internet. Did we get upgraded too early and nobody started seeing these issues yet? Did we get ugraded incorrectly and so nobody else has the same issues? I am not seeing any useful information anywhere and would appreciate some advice.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2014

Here are the supported browsers for 5.4 (Not the version you asked about but it is the latest)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Supported+Platforms

<th>

Microsoft Internet Explorer (Windows) <sup>(</sup><sup>5</sup><sup>, 6)</sup>

(tick) 8, 9,10, 11
(IE 11 support from version 5.4.3)

Mozilla Firefox (all platforms)

(tick) Latest stable version supported

Google Chrome (Windows and Mac) <sup>(7</sup><sup>)</sup>

Safari (Mac)

1. Internet Explorer 8 and 9 do not support the drag-and-drop functionality of HTML5. As Confluence relies on this functionality, the drag-and-drop experience in Internet Explorer 8 and 9 is not complete. Internet Explorer 10 in 'desktop' mode does support the drag-and-drop functionality, and the implementation of drag-and-drop in Confluence works as expected with Internet Explorer 10 'desktop' mode. The 'modern' mode of Internet Explorer 10 does not support drag-and-drop.
  2. Confluence is tested with these versions of Internet Explorer in standards-compliant rendering mode, not compatibility mode. Enabling compatibility mode may cause problems because it emulates older, unsupported rendering modes.
  3. Chrome does not have WEBDAV / plugin support so features such as Edit in Word for attachments will not work. Please refer to CONF-23322 for information on the progress of the issue.
  4. Confluence does not support editing in Mobile Safari on iOS devices (such as iPhone and iPad). Please refer to CONF-19523 for information on the progress of this issue.
  5. Confluence does not support editing on Android devices.
Marianna Vinitsky April 3, 2014

I am using IE 8. I am seeing a lot of issues with it, such as editor's buttons (Save, Attachments, Preview, etc) don't show up consistently. I have to actually play with the IE window where I opened the editor - zoom it back and forth, make it full screen, back to resizable - just to get to see these buttons and there is no consistent way to get them. They disappear throughout the editing session, pretty much on any keystroke. And yet I am not seeing anbody else complain about it on internet. And I do have IE 8, which you say is supported. So, what is the deal? I have been a heavy user of Confluence for many years but this upgrade renders all my experience useless. Any idea what causes these issues?

NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2014

I am not sure what really causes the issue. What I have found is that Chrome seems to play nice will all of confluence. IE works with some parts, but Chrome has the least amount of issues.

The problem with running a web based app is you are completely dependent on the browser for compatibility. With the amount of updates that come out for browsers, it’s almost impossible for Atlassian to keep up. They do the best they can with the position the browsers put them in.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events