Weekly reporting with Confluence

We are migrating to confluence and want it to be the center of our collaborative universe for all the projects that we run internally. There are quite a few and every project has its own page based on project template page. it all works quite nice so far.

Now I need to implement some sort of weekly reporting for project managers and the goals here are simple:

Project Managers should be able to submit weekly reports on their projects (ideally, they fill out a form with basic things like - what's done, issues, status of progress and so on) - one PM will normally manage 2-5 projects and if they could report on all 5 on the same page, that'd be great.

A a few reports based on project manager's submissions: 1) a table showing current statuses for all projects (last reports and reports before last week to be able to compare) 2) a page that will show all historic reports for a prorject and 3) a short summary of all progress (like status).

What's my best way of getting this sorted, can someone please suggest?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

I have this feeling that the full implementation of a solution to fit your requirements might be challenging. I'm not sure of the "best" way.

You might consider this simplified approach:

Each project has a status page. This page gets edited each week. The page history shows prior reports. Then on a "roll-up" page (#1), use the reporting plug-in to gather information from each of the given pages as to its last modification date and the modifcation date of the previous version (that has a weakness if PMs edit the page outside of the 1/week).

For #2, use the page history.

For #3, create a page that uses the {include} macro to gather info from each of the pages or excerpts or a given data field.

There are two solutions for that:

• Blueprints
  • the Play SQL Spreadsheets add-on

Use Blueprints if you want a lot of text (i.e. formatted text, bullet points, etc):

• Create a Blueprint as a template for reporting, which each manager should submit for each of their projects, every week.
  • They can detail their status (or not) with several paragraphs and images,
  • The metadata can be displayed in the Page Properties Report macro,
  • So you would have a summary page for the reports of the week and another one for all reports of a given project.
  • You're limited in terms of reporting. You will have to fiddle the the labels to make it work. Statistics won't be available.

Use Play SQL Spreadsheets if you're rather managing the data about the projects:

• Each week, your managers add a line in the spreadsheet for their project,
  • A filtered macro can display all the lines related to a project or all the lines related to a week,
  • You can make stats (% of successful statuses, delays or workforce demand) using queries. Or even graphs ;)

However you're limited to data. You won't be able to put bullet points in cells.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

980 views 14 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you