WebDAV plugin configuration doesn't presence in Confluence Cloud

yuriy228 December 6, 2017

Does current Confluence Cloud supports WebDAV plugin?

I've read "Configuring a WebDAV client for Confluence" page and it says that I may configure the plugin in Administration Console. But the console doesn't include any partitions about WebDAV plugin.

I've checked plugin's state in the pluging management page. It looks like it is active. Although "configure" button links to "not found" page (https://....atlassian.net/wiki/admin/plugins/webdav/config.action).

How can I sure the pluging is active and how can I configure it?

Here is the screen with pluging's information.

Screen.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Hi Yuriy,

To be sure, is this the article you were following?

Configuring a WebDAV Client for Confluence Cloud

The other article, Configuring a WebDAV Client for Confluence is specific to the server version.

WebDAV is no longer possible in Cloud, so if you can let me know what feature you were trying to use exactly I can let you know what the replacement is for that.

Regards,

Shannon

yuriy228 December 7, 2017

Thank you for the quick response.

Now I see.

We are investigating Confluence to consider it to be used in one big and long enough project. So we want to be sure it fits our needs completely before starting using it. And regarding WebDAV topic we are looking for the following possibilities:

1. Managing backup files.

2. Working with content files from OS in a native way (as with a network drive for instance).

Are there possibilities to do it some other way?

And I would be very thankful if you also could answer the following questions we are interested in:

3. Now we have Russian language active for UI as the browser reports that language to the server. Can it be switched permanently to English language someway? We are supporting an international team and prefer to work using the same language to make communications about tools (Confluence for this case) easier.

4. The most important use case for us is to use Confluence as a files version storage. And for this I see the following way to implement it: make a page for each of file folders and put "attachments" plugin inside each of them. Then we may just operate with attachments of these pages. But the plugin's functionality does not completely cover our needs. So the question is, in case we order a license, can we get source code of this standard plugin to be able to change it to meet our needs? It would save a lot of time compared to if we write a new plugin from scratch - what would take much more time for investigation of plugin system API.

5. Can we change standard page's structure (e.g. remove or move/change the "page creator" block) in some easy way? I found out that it is possible to change colors and paddings by creating new plugins, but what about changing page's structure (I mean its part which is not defined by page's content)?

yuriy228 December 7, 2017

Thank you for the quick response.

Now I see.

We are investigating Confluence to consider it to be used in one big and long enough project. So we want to be sure it fits our needs completely before starting using it. And regarding WebDAV topic we are looking for the following possibilities:

1. Managing backup files.
  2. Working with content files from OS in a native way (as with a network drive for instance).

Are there possibilities to do it some other way?

And I would be very thankful if you also could answer the following questions we are interested in:

1. Now we have Russian language active for UI as the browser reports that language to the server. Can it be switched permanently to English language someway? We are supporting an international team and prefer to work using the same language to make communications about tools (Confluence for this case) easier.
  2. The most important use case for us is to use Confluence as a files version storage. And for this I see the following way to implement it: make a page for each of file folders and put "attachments" plugin inside each of them. Then we may just operate with attachments of these pages. But the plugin's functionality does not completely cover our needs. So the question is, in case we order a license, can we get source code of this standard plugin to be able to change it to meet our needs? It would save a lot of time compared to if we write a new plugin from scratch - what would take much more time for investigation of plugin system API.
  3. Can we change standard page's structure (e.g. remove or move/change the "page creator" block) in some easy way? I found out that it is possible to change colors and paddings by creating new plugins, but what about changing page's structure (I mean its part which is not defined by page's content)?
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Yuriy,

1. You can create backups within the system, but you will need to store these externally. Please also note that automatic backups are not possible.
  2. You can edit certain attached files in Confluence using applications on your OS. Other than that, you won't be able to manage Confluence via your OS natively.
  3. Regarding Languages: You can Set the Default Language for the site that it uses by default. Additionally, each person can set their own languages in their User Profile.
  4. When you upload an attachment to a page where the attachment already exists, Confluence does keep track of the versions of the attachments. Confluence does also keep Page Versions in this same way. So you can compare page versions and even revert to a previous version.
  5. Finally, it is not possible to modify Confluence Cloud in any way using code, custom HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc. This is mentioned in the Confluence Cloud Restricted Functions. There is a current feature request to be able to remove the Created by/Edited by section, if you'd like to vote on and watch it: 
  • CONFCLOUD-37711: Add ability to hide the “last updated and created by” text on Confluence pages

However, if you really are interested in modifying source code for your needs, I would recommend Confluence Server rather than Cloud. This doesn't have quite so many restrictions, and since you have direct access to the source files, you will be able to modify them to your liking.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Shannon

Jim Gilliam March 2, 2023

@Shannon S Can I set up FTP or SFTP so that I can publish HTML pages directly to my Confluence Cloud space?

I use a tool called MadCap Flare.  It can publish to Zendesk with a plugin, so I'd like that functionality to publish content from MadCap Flare to Confluence Cloud.

What's the best way to accomplish this?  A network drive mapping?  SFTP? FTP? Other?

Thanks,

Jim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events