We need to revert from 7.7.4 to 6.13.14 Version

Ernie Jennings April 1, 2021

It's a long story so, we just need to revert. I have back up files of 6.13.4 on our test server. What steps do I need to do to get back to a previous version?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

@Ernie Jennings 

Restoring a backup of the previous version that you have on the test server can be done fairly easily through the steps found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf613/restoring-a-site-964961333.html  You will want to install 6.13.14 on a new server and DB and then in the install process restore.  

You can also follow the instructions here if you have the DB backup as an option.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver077/rolling-back-a-jira-application-upgrade-945532638.html

The concern would be how long have you been on 7.7.4?   Capturing all the changes that have been made since the update will be challenging and you would most likely miss them.  

Is there no path forward on 7.7.4?

Ernie Jennings April 1, 2021

Its a test server so there have not been many changes. We are moving to the cloud and our consultants are having issues so they need to test html add-on and handy macros, apparently problems when moving from on-premises to cloud.

I will try these steps and let you know. If it works I will accept answer.

Make sense? Thank you very much! @Brant Schroeder 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Great, hope it works out.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2021

@Ernie Jennings  Good luck trying to move to the cloud. After you are done, please share your experiences.

Ernie Jennings April 6, 2021

@Brant Schroeder 

Brant,

I did this process many years ago, but I did not restore a site as mentioned in the article. According to the article, we cannot import if we are reverting to a previous version.

It seems like (5 years ago) I copied both directories over the existing version. I don’t remember if I had to run the install for the previous version. I cannot remember the details, but does this ring a bell or another way to do it?

Thanks

***********WILL THIS WORK?************

Install 6.13.4 over current version.

Copy database from prod to test.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2021

@Ernie Jennings - A long time ago depending on the version you might have been able to copy the directories back and you could have been OK.  There is even a possibility that you could do the same thing now if the versions were close together.  I would not recommend it however.  There are often changes to the DB that could causes issues.  The best path forward is to do a restore.  I would suggest if you are on a VM taking snapshots that you can easily roll back to on future updates.

Ernie Jennings September 8, 2021

@Brant Schroeder  We moved to the cloud. Whoo hoo. Fun, fun.

Ernie Jennings September 8, 2021

@Bill Bailey 

Moving to the cloud took about six months. It started by the vendor saying this would take about three weeks (that it was pretty straightforward. Yeah, they didn't look over the system before making such outrageous claims.

• We had numerous problems with macros that were not compatible with the cloud.
  • The migration tool did migrate all of the macros successfully, so users had to recreate macros.
  • Links were broken that had to be manually relinked.
  • HTML Macros all had to be removed and copied to the new HTML macro.
  • Handy macros did not work.
  • SO MAKE SURE THE VENDOR THOROUGHLY LOOKS OVER YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE GIVING YOU A QUOTE ON TIME AND PRICE :-)

Yeah, it was a big surprise to me how long and expensive this process was. But hey, they have three years to perfect their techniques before everyone has to move to the CLOUD by 2024.

I'm glad we did move because now they can maintain it for us.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events