Watch notifications for unlicensed users Confluence.

Alex August 26, 2021

Hello everyone!

I wanted to make a "release notes" page in Сonfluence, but faced the problem of sending notifications. As an inspiration and example, I would like to do both on this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-release-notes-776821069.html

Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 19.22.59.png

The built-in "watch" function sends notifications only to users with an active license. In this case, we can give access to an unlicensed user in Confluence(add to permission group), including anonymous.

Question: is it possible to somehow solve a similar issue of sending emails to users? We are not against paid solutions, but $ 3.70 per month for each client looks like a lot, for a newsletter subscription :)

Another variation is using third-party services for mailing, but I would like to stay in the atlassian ecosystem.

(Statuspage, as I understand it, is also not suitable for this.)

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2021

Hi @Alex

If you are open for a plugin, you may want to give Automated release notes a try. There is free as well as paid version on Jira cloud. This app can solve your use case in following ways:

• It offers the functionality of a stand alone release page. e.g. check this & this
    • Ability to 'Subscribe' to these release page updates is about to go live in the next 3-4 weeks
    • You can also embed these release notes as widgets directly in your SaaS app
  • You can publish your release notes directly to Confluence from Jira. e.g. check this & this 
    • As far as sending an email when such a release notes page in Confluence  updates is concerned, you can achieve that via ARN's automated actions. Here's how it will look like
      • Add new/update existing Confluence page for release notes with ARN
      • Send an email notification to pre-configured users when new Confluence page is created/updated via ARN (notification can include link to the Confluence page along with the releases notes - cly customisable)

If you need further help, we are happy to do a quick product demo.

Disclaimer: I am the product owner of ARN app.

Best,
Anand

Alex August 27, 2021

Hi @Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids

Yes, a premium Confluence subscription is also a solution for release notes, but the problem with notifications remains. 

I will look at ARN when the subscription functionality is published. 📌 It might be easier than setting up an integration with a third-party mailing list service(mailchimp as example).

Thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events