Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View all open comments on a Confluence page

Lee Cash November 2, 2015

Hi there, 

We're adding lots of inline comments to our Confluence pages but it's proving difficult to get an overview at the page level of what's open and requires attention. 

There's a "Resolved Comments" section but I can't see if there's anywhere to quickly get a list of open comments? 

We're OnDemand, if that makes any difference. 

Thanks, 

Lee 

28 answers

15 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 3, 2015

Hi Lee, 

Unfortunately we do not have this feature implemented at this point. But it's on our backlog, see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-34510.

Cheers!

Jonathan Davies June 22, 2016

Is there an update on this?

Like # people like this
grant_frisken February 28, 2017

Any update on this - its been over a year.   This seems like a really critical issue when trying to use Confluence for reviewing large documents it is important to be ensure that all issues (comments) are resolved before the document is approved.

Like # people like this
Sarah Shonberger August 16, 2017

We also would like an update for this!

Like # people like this
ajedward December 20, 2017

We are Confluence customers and have the same issue! I can see resolved comments via the menu but not open comments, can't that be reversed??

Like # people like this
Mark Norman February 13, 2018

Is this still open? I have loads of very long pages with inline comments hidden inside, and I have to manually grep through them to find the comments. This is insane UI for any non-trivial e.g. business use of Confluence.

Like # people like this
Pascalle Leeuwerink May 9, 2018

@SecondLineSupportis there any update on this request? Managing multiple projects it's essential to have an overview of all open comments. After all it's all about collaboration and making this easier by using confluence, correct?

Like heptoxide likes this
Renee Schaaf November 19, 2018

I would also like an update on this, as it is negatively impacting my team.

Like # people like this
Ash March 15, 2019

+1

Saskia Christine Botsch March 26, 2019

+1

Like heptoxide likes this
Jeff Pannone (BSHP Legacy) April 3, 2019

+1

Like # people like this
Ed LaSage April 8, 2019

+1

Like # people like this
heptoxide April 10, 2019

Omar_Crea__Snapper May 21, 2019

+1

James McLean June 21, 2019

+1

Like Souni Breil likes this
Vladimir Lykhmus July 17, 2019

+1

Shira_Luk_Zilberman July 18, 2019

+1 

Greg Skerry July 19, 2019

+1 

Martins August 22, 2019

+1!

Susanne Schnitzer September 17, 2019

still not solved?

Eric Weber October 14, 2019

+1

Aarohi Bhaway October 18, 2019

+1

Pat Turner October 21, 2019

+1

Morten Bjerregaard October 21, 2019

Aurélien MUNOZ November 4, 2019

+1
4 years now...

Bostjan Ravter November 21, 2019

+1

Tim Crowther December 11, 2019

+1

Rob January 27, 2020

+1

triff January 28, 2020

+1

VeryLys February 14, 2020

+1

Tracy February 19, 2020

+1

Deleted user February 24, 2020

+1

Ridiculous that i have to screenshot my comment and email to colleagues so they can see where it's hidden....

Like Martins likes this
Takeshi Cho March 2, 2020

+7 bn ... I think everyone wants this feature.

Joel HAMON March 27, 2020

+1

Graham Heit March 30, 2020

+1.  Ridiculous

Beth Gostanian May 18, 2020

+1

Jennifer Jennifer October 6, 2020

+1 - Please! I am trying to get the most out of this tool and this makes it very difficult to justify it's usage. 

Anton Starostin November 25, 2020

+1

Jered Gordner March 16, 2021

Any update now that it's 2021?

84 years.jpg

Like # people like this
Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

It's unfortunate that Atlassian classified this core issue as "NOT BEING CONSIDERED" - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-34510. Not sure what the alternative to this currently is except the booklet option in this tread.

11 votes
Everton Schneider December 10, 2018

Another possible workaround is to create a bookmark in your browser with the following URL.

javascript:(document.querySelectorAll(".inline-comment-marker.valid")[0].click())

P.S.: Replace the : for a real colon

After that, open the page in Confluence and, after loaded, click the bookmark.

It will slide the comments on the right side of the page and make them visible.

It's easier than searching the whole document for a yellow mark to click.

Mike Davis March 28, 2019

Cool way to get all my comments over the right-side of the browser, but I can't seem to view all comments at once.

Hmm....

Like # people like this
Stefan Cameron March 29, 2019

Fantastic! Thanks for that bookmarklet! At least it will show the first comment (if any).

From there, you can press the "n" key to see the next one, or "p" to see the previous one. If only pressing "n" would show the first comment if one exists, and if only pressing "]" when the comment sidebar was hidden would reveal it (instead of just hiding it when it's visible)...

Like # people like this
Mukund Iyer Rajamony April 28, 2019

Really nice! It would be nice if confluence can implement this OOTB.

Like Everton Schneider likes this
John M May 7, 2019

Absolutely amazing work there!

Mukund Iyer Rajamony June 21, 2019

+1 worth a reasonable workaround.

Slava Shpitalny July 17, 2019

I have improved it so it will also jump to the comment instead of just opening it:

javascript:(document.querySelectorAll(".inline-comment-marker.valid")[0].click());setTimeout(function(){document.querySelectorAll(".ic-display-comment-view")[0].scrollIntoViewIfNeeded()},2000)

Replace the : with a real colon ':'

(in case the comment is open it will close it)

Like # people like this
Everton Schneider July 17, 2019

@Slava Shpitalny: That's really good and works scrolling to the first comment!

Like Slava Shpitalny likes this
John M July 17, 2019

@Slava Shpitalny Chrome Bookmarks seemed to allow me to save the script only on replacing &colon with an actual colon. Works great though! :)

Like # people like this
Mukund Iyer Rajamony December 12, 2019

On I.E I do not see an improvement. It simply doesn't scrollinto view.

6 votes
Norman Harman January 9, 2020

How the fuck is "view comments on this page" not implemented? Like it shouldn't have to be implemented. Comments should by default be visible. People wrote them to be seen and not slide back and forth like some crap web app.  The missing feature be "hide comments".

4 votes
John Corwith July 16, 2019

Unfortunatley Atlassian has deemed this "Not Being Considered: Whilst we appreciate the potential impact and value this issue may bring to our customers, we will not be working on it in the foreseeable future. We will review this ticket in a year to see if our decision has changed."

I created a link at the top right on the page to View Comments and configured it for the java script suggested above and shown below. It doesn't do much more than add a comment so that when you click it it opens a modal for the first comment. But I am able to put it in a template so the first comment (View Comments) is highlighted. I'm going to attempt to use this with a button once my Confluence instance comes back up. Its been down for an hour. Groan.

This does not open all the comments but it starts at the first comment. My document is an application which has 3 reviewers so I put 3 links (sponser, evaluator, certifier) for the reviewers to click to add comments to at the right of each section of the appliction. The highlighting tells the reader that the reviewers have commented on each section.

This works fairly well however I too would have preferred being able to show all the comments at one time.

I would also like to remove the comment controls (like Resolve) as I want the comments to be permanent. 

javascript:(document.querySelectorAll(".inline-comment-marker.valid")[0].click())

John Corwith July 16, 2019

I spoke too soon, it looks like this didn't actually work. It looks like when I added the View Comments link above my Sponsor Comments link which had a comment, that the Sponsor comment got extended to the View Comments text. So all I have is the 3 links and the user has to know to click the first one to start viewing comments.

4 votes
Jonathan Davies June 22, 2016

Is there a plan to fix this, my company is crying out for this feature. Some of our pages are extremely large and go through multiple review cycles and attract a high volume of comments. Is it not possible to have a table of some sort that breaks down the list of unresolved comments, against which section and who by?

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2016

Are you on Cloud? I'm planning this feature for a Cloud plugin...

Like Gody van den Bogaard likes this
Jonathan Davies June 30, 2016

no we have the on-premise  version...are you planning it for this too?

Sarah Shonberger August 16, 2017

We also would like an update for this! This issue will possibley gate our comanpy accepting this tool for doc reviews

2 votes
stevemc November 9, 2019

Why would atlassian add inline comment feature with ability to mark as 'complete" and not provide a way to find them all? If you view them as tasks, why would you not make it easy to find undone tasks? And if there not enough users asking for this feature?  

2 votes
steve1895 January 5, 2018

+1 my team needs this basic feature since it's way to easy for comments to be lost and unresolved.  A Google search for "always show comments" shows many similar concerns from other customers.

1 vote
Geoff Davis December 6, 2018

+1 for this long overdue feature.

1 vote
Barry Tait November 22, 2018

+1 for this request

1 vote
Johannes Schneider August 17, 2018

Hard to believe this feature was not part of the original plan. What is a comment good for if you can't handle it well? So pls confirm: there is No way to have an overview over the 

.) open comments on a page

.) open comments  a person wrote

.) open comments I wrote

thx!

Anete Vaivode December 10, 2019

+100 

1 vote
Ievgenii Vasiuk August 7, 2018

+1 for our teams needs. Also would be great to integrate confluence inline-comments with Crucible (because actually we're trying to use crucible for peer-review of  confluence docs)

1 vote
Micha Trautweiler February 6, 2018

Here is a receipe from servicerocket: 
https://docs.servicerocket.com/display/REP/List+All+Comments+Including+Unresolved+Inline+Comments

While the steps did not work for me, I just pasted the source and adjusted the scope variable to set the root page in the content reporter macro to fit my needs. Note that this enables you to show inline comments and comments from multiple pages, e.g. a hierarchy of pages.

1 vote
Arto Kovalainen August 16, 2017

This is not a perfect workaround but sometimes good enough. You can use activity stream gadget/ macro and list content type "comment"

0 votes
Owin.Gruters.ext June 28, 2021

Status = Not Being Considered. Really??? Do you see how many =100000000000's this got???

0 votes
Megan Wray Canfield April 20, 2021

Everyone that's interested please visit this ticket and VOTE for this issue! The current status is "gathering interest."

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-34510 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-34510 

0 votes
Office Prisma July 21, 2020

Such an important issue should be integrated in the confluence standard package not in the Atlassian Marketplace

0 votes
Johannes Schneider March 24, 2020

wow! hard to believe, this issue is still pending! Is it?

0 votes
Géry Duyck March 24, 2020

+1000000000000

0 votes
Stefan Cameron March 3, 2020

FYI, I found that my previous smart bookmark code to open the first comment on the page was no longer working after somewhat recent changes to Confluence (i.e. in the "new" interface as opposed to the "old").

Here is my updated smart bookmark which works in the new Confluence interface:

javascript_COLON_(document.querySelectorAll('[data-mark-annotation-type="inlineComment"].valid')[0].click())

Replace `_COLON_` with `:` to make it work. The previous code (I believe suggested a while back on this same ticket) no longer works because one of the key class names is no longer used. Now, they use a custom data- attribute to indicate it's an inline comment.

0 votes
Andrii Tkachenko _BeastieHut_ June 19, 2019

Hello!

If you need to see the aggregated table of comments (simple or inline with statuses control), you can try https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1219786 plugin.

Thank you,

Andrey Tkachenko from BeastieHut

Andreas June 19, 2019

This plugin appears to be for Server only, is that correct?

Like Kat Ingalls likes this
Andrii Tkachenko _BeastieHut_ June 19, 2019

Hello Jan.

Yes, for now it is only for Server Confluence.

We are planning to implement it for Cloud in near future.

Thank you

Souni Breil July 10, 2019

i could also really use this for cloud ... :(

Like Kat Ingalls likes this
Andrii Tkachenko _BeastieHut_ September 11, 2019

Hello!

@Andreas 

@Souni Breil 

@Kat Ingalls

FYI - We implemented the version of the plugin for Confluence Cloud - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219786/pages-and-attachments-comments-report?hosting=cloud&tab=overview .

It is a first release, so the options are not so various as for server for now, but we're going to add them in future.

Thank you!

Like Omar_Crea__Snapper likes this
0 votes
KM April 17, 2019

There is another workaround for that by switching to mobile view of the page which contains inline comments.
You can do it in 2 ways:

- in chrome activate developer tools (Ctrl+Shift+I or F12), then toggle device toolbar (Ctrl+Shift+M or click device icon), then choose any mobile device from a toolbar (i.e. Galaxy S5) and reload the page 

OR

- copy page url and change it for mobile view copping PAGEID (twice!) as follows:
FROM: https://YOUR.DOMIAN/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=PAGE_ID

TO:   https://YOUR.DOMIAN/confluence/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=PAGE_ID#content/view/PAGE_ID

In both cases you should receive mobile version of a page with all inline comments listed on bottom of the page.

Have fun!

Patrick O_Connell March 2, 2020

KM,

I cannot get any of the JavaScript solutions working, but your solution works beautifully. 

I'm not quite following what you say about the URLs, by the way, and I didn't need to select a specific mobile device. Once in dev. tools, and toggled to mobile-device mode, I just hit F5 to reload the page.

It had never occurred to me that Confluence would display differently on a mobile device. I won't go into the details of why, but suffice to say I'm well used to punching F12 in Chrome, and that should have occurred to me.

Many thanks,
Pat O'Connell
Technical Writer
MindGeek Montreal

0 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 21, 2017

As a workaround you can us Talk inline comments add-on. It shows all unresolved comments on a page. But this add-on is for Confluence Server only. You can try live demo here.

ajedward December 21, 2017

I think we don't have this option because Confluence is hosted in-house...

0 votes
ajedward December 21, 2017

This is a true pain!

My current workaround :

1. Leave a comment with 'ignore this comment'
  2. Use the arrows to navigate the unresolved comments, resolving them in another window in Edit mode.
    (it's also annoying that you can't see the comments in Edit mode, so I use two windows for that).
  3. Once all the real comments are resolved / processed, resolve the bogus comment with 'ignore this comment'.
0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2016

A Cloud addon was recently released that would help with this:

See All Unresolved Comments

Not only do you get a counter at the top to see how many unresolved inline comments are in a page, but you can also click to jump directly to the first comment. You can even search (run a report) to see all unresolved comments filtered by space and/or commenting user. For longer pages, there's also an overview report that shows just the headings and the commented text, so you can get a quick overview of what's on any particular page.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2018

Just as an update, See All Unresolved Comments is now available for Confluence Server as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events