View all open comments on a Confluence page

Hi there, 

We're adding lots of inline comments to our Confluence pages but it's proving difficult to get an overview at the page level of what's open and requires attention. 

There's a "Resolved Comments" section but I can't see if there's anywhere to quickly get a list of open comments? 

We're OnDemand, if that makes any difference. 

Thanks, 

Lee 

13 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Lee, 

Unfortunately we do not have this feature implemented at this point. But it's on our backlog, see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-34510.

Cheers!

Is there an update on this?

Any update on this - its been over a year.   This seems like a really critical issue when trying to use Confluence for reviewing large documents it is important to be ensure that all issues (comments) are resolved before the document is approved.

We also would like an update for this!

We are Confluence customers and have the same issue! I can see resolved comments via the menu but not open comments, can't that be reversed??

Is this still open? I have loads of very long pages with inline comments hidden inside, and I have to manually grep through them to find the comments. This is insane UI for any non-trivial e.g. business use of Confluence.

@SecondLineSupportis there any update on this request? Managing multiple projects it's essential to have an overview of all open comments. After all it's all about collaboration and making this easier by using confluence, correct?

Is there a plan to fix this, my company is crying out for this feature. Some of our pages are extremely large and go through multiple review cycles and attract a high volume of comments. Is it not possible to have a table of some sort that breaks down the list of unresolved comments, against which section and who by?

Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Jun 30, 2016

Are you on Cloud? I'm planning this feature for a Cloud plugin...

no we have the on-premise  version...are you planning it for this too?

We also would like an update for this! This issue will possibley gate our comanpy accepting this tool for doc reviews

This is not a perfect workaround but sometimes good enough. You can use activity stream gadget/ macro and list content type "comment"

+1 my team needs this basic feature since it's way to easy for comments to be lost and unresolved.  A Google search for "always show comments" shows many similar concerns from other customers.

Hard to believe this feature was not part of the original plan. What is a comment good for if you can't handle it well? So pls confirm: there is No way to have an overview over the 

.) open comments on a page

.) open comments  a person wrote

.) open comments I wrote

thx!

Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Nov 03, 2015

Hi Lee,

for one way to get all unresolved inline comments, you can take a look at my answer from another question:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/30540804

Hi Stephen, 

This solution is only applicable to self-hosted versions of Confluence, right? I can't use scripting on the Cloud version. Unless I'm misinterpreting your suggestion in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/30540804

Regards,

Lee

Hi Lee, it works just fine on the cloud version too. It is simply a piece of Javascript that you paste into your browser console, so it's your browser doing the scripting, not a Confluence page :)

I realized there was a bug that caused it not to work on Cloud (and also it was set by default to filter by username), so I fixed the issue, here is the updated code:

var getUnresolvedInlineComments = function(space, username, start) {
    start = start || 0;
    var spacePart = "";
    if (space) {
        spacePart = "space%3D" + space + "%20and%20"
    }
    jQuery.ajax({
        url: contextPath + "/rest/api/content/search?cql=" + spacePart + "type%3Dcomment&expand=extensions.resolution%2Ccontainer.history&start=" + start,
        success: function(response) {
            jQuery(response.results).each(function() {
                if (this.hasOwnProperty("extensions") && this.extensions.location === "inline" && this.extensions.resolution.status === "open" && (typeof(username)==="undefined" || this.container.history.createdBy.username === username)) {
                    console.log(AJS.params.baseUrl + this._links.webui);
                }
            });
            if ( !(response.size < response.limit) ) {
                getUnresolvedInlineComments(space, username, start + 25);
            } else {
                console.log("Done!");
            }
        }
    });
}

This is a bad workaround for the time being, so I think I will take some time and turn this into a real addon, which should make things a lot easier.

Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Oct 30, 2016

A Cloud addon was recently released that would help with this:

See All Unresolved Comments

Not only do you get a counter at the top to see how many unresolved inline comments are in a page, but you can also click to jump directly to the first comment. You can even search (run a report) to see all unresolved comments filtered by space and/or commenting user. For longer pages, there's also an overview report that shows just the headings and the commented text, so you can get a quick overview of what's on any particular page.

Stephen Deutsch Community Champion Feb 14, 2018

Just as an update, See All Unresolved Comments is now available for Confluence Server as well.

This is a true pain!

My current workaround :

1. Leave a comment with 'ignore this comment'
  2. Use the arrows to navigate the unresolved comments, resolving them in another window in Edit mode.
    (it's also annoying that you can't see the comments in Edit mode, so I use two windows for that).
  3. Once all the real comments are resolved / processed, resolve the bogus comment with 'ignore this comment'.

As a workaround you can us Talk inline comments add-on. It shows all unresolved comments on a page. But this add-on is for Confluence Server only. You can try live demo here.

I think we don't have this option because Confluence is hosted in-house...

Here is a receipe from servicerocket: 
https://docs.servicerocket.com/display/REP/List+All+Comments+Including+Unresolved+Inline+Comments

While the steps did not work for me, I just pasted the source and adjusted the scope variable to set the root page in the content reporter macro to fit my needs. Note that this enables you to show inline comments and comments from multiple pages, e.g. a hierarchy of pages.

+1 for our teams needs. Also would be great to integrate confluence inline-comments with Crucible (because actually we're trying to use crucible for peer-review of  confluence docs)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

569 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you