Variable and Properties

kristin whitaker August 26, 2022

Hi!    I have set up some variables and properties and they pull in fine to the property table so I am good there but I can't see an area to change the variable if it happens to change.   

For example,   I have a variable called CSM   when creating a page using this template, I add myself as the CSM, and it feeds into the property list because I'm using that variable.   However, once the page is created the field is populated but looks like text.    It does feed correctly into the properties table.   But if I am no longer the CSM and I need to change it to someone else,    I don't see any place to change that Variable so to change it, I have to do it in both places.    

I have looked in the space analytics and don't see that it can be changed there.    

I appreciate any input.   Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2022

Hi @kristin whitaker, if I understood correctly, you want to update the value of a variable in a Confluence page created from a template. By design, templates don't provide this functionality. Once a page gets created, you no longer have access to the variables, which are part of the initial template. Atlassian doesn't seem to have plans to implement this feature request. For more details, see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-40682.

kristin whitaker September 8, 2022

Thank you!   I figured that out.  It's disappointing.   

m shani September 22, 2023

Ah, I see the pickle you're in. You've set up a variable called "CSM" that becomes static text once the page is created. So, if you need to change the CSM, you have to update it manually in both the page and the property table. Unfortunately, it seems like your CMS doesn't offer a straightforward way to update the variable in one place.

Your best bet might be to check if your CMS allows for dynamic fields that can be updated post-creation. If not, you might have to continue updating it manually in both places. It's not ideal, but sometimes, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events