Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Jira user directory to manage Confluence access

Jack Parker December 7, 2017

We currently have an instance of Jira and an instance of Confluence with several users who have access to both managed on each application individually.

We would like to start using  the Jira user directory to manage access to both applications.

What I would like to understand is what will happen to the existing Confluence accounts in the following use cases:

• Someone has a Jira account and a Confluence account with different usernames
  • Someone has a Jira account and a Confluence account with the same usernames 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Igor M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2017

Hello,

Nothing will happen to existing Confluence accounts, they will remain under Confluence Internal Directory and can still be used to log in to Confluence, they will not be synchronized to Jira and you will not be able to use them to log in to Jira.

All Jira accounts will be synchronized to Confluence, as well as Jira internal jira-administrators and jira-software-users groups. Said groups will be given access to create content in Confluence, this can be adjusted from Global and Space permissions settings in Confluence. So if a user has an account in Confluence with a unique ID and an account in Jira with another unique ID, both account will be able to use Confluence independently.

Duplicate user ID will be merged, with password value being taken from Jira. Group memberships will also merge, so if a user is a member of a jira-software-users group on Jira and confluence-users group on Confluence, you will have a user that is a member of both groups having access to both instances. 

You can read more on adding jira to Confluence here:

Connecting to Crowd or Jira for User Management

I hope I have answered your questions and let me know if you've got more.

Regards,

Igor

Jack Parker December 29, 2017

Thanks Igor. That's exactly what I was trying to find out.  

Igor M.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2017

Glad to hear! could you please then mark my answer as accepted solution.

Happy New Year and have a wonderful 2018!

Regards,

Igor

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events