Using panel titles in Table of Contents

Kevin Boots September 17, 2017

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to get titles used in the Panel macro into a table of contents. Is this possible or do I have to add these in a different way?

4 answers

0 votes
Dario July 6, 2023

Good morning,

I have the same issue and I have been looking for an alternative for panel without successful.

Anyway, I would like to apply the solution provided by @AnnWorley but I have several pages with the same problem. Also, other problem would be removing the label title from panel in order to avoid repeat the same title.

Do you know how to apply this alternative in automatic way? 

Thank you in advance.

Dario

0 votes
Steve Gibbons May 13, 2020

I have added h2. text as the first line within my panel and made it the panel title / header. Then added the panel content under the h2. text.

I agree panel titles should have an "include in TOC" check box option, but this works with less effort than the Anchor macro option

0 votes
Laura Schalk March 20, 2019

I would love to see a way to easily include panels in the ToC while still formatting the content itself as paragraph. How about a checkbox for "include in ToC" or a way to format the panel title in the edit dialogue for the panel?

For now, I got around it by adding a heading in white (invisible) text above the panels.

Peterson Vicente February 18, 2022

just did the same. Thanks

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

The table of contents (TOC ) macro picks up Headings so if you format the titles within the macro as Headings they will be linked in the TOC.

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 4.43.34 PM.png

If you need the TOC to link to the title of the panel macro itself, you will have to build the TOC manually using the anchor macro above each panel, and links to the anchors.

Grady Drew May 1, 2018

That's sub-optimal. :(

Jean-Philippe Larochelle September 26, 2018

Thats not good indeed, it would be nice to be able to add headings to panel titles so that it appears in the TOC

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

@AnnWorley Is there an open suggestion that we can vote on to make the panel title 'findable' in table of contents macro?

Like # people like this
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

(even if we can default it to h3) :D

Timothy Wilson February 13, 2019

I was looking to use panel title in a TOC as well... Boss wants a TOC with links to make getting to a topic someone is looking for quickly. I used panels and have everything looking organized and sorted. Sad that you need to add another layer of work into the page and that it isn't simple to use them in the TOC and not have to redo everything I started.

Bodhi Dasgupta July 28, 2021

OMG!!! This is such an inefficient thing to do !! Why can't you just have an option in the "Panel" macro that says "Show in Table of Contents"... that's all !!!

It is sometimes SO DIFFICULT to make a really good looking and organized page in confluence that I wonder whether you guys really want to make it hard for us

Like Scott DeLugan likes this
Scott DeLugan May 12, 2022

Agreed. TOCs should be able to link to headings within panels, especially if the TOC recognizes them as links.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events