Using markdown tables

According to https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/markdown-syntax-guide-776639995.html#Markdownsyntaxguide-Codeblocks it should be possible to insert tables via Markdown syntax. The example is exactly this:

| Day     | Meal    | Price |
| --------|---------|-------|
| Monday  | pasta   | $6    |
| Tuesday | chicken | $8    |

However, when pasting exactly that code into Confluence (via the “Insert Markup” macro), what I get is definitely not a table, but rather arbitrarily formatted text.

Am I missing something or is that feature “only” broken?

8 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Is this being looked at?  I am trying to transfer some API docs to confluence and need the tables.

I'm facing the same issue as well.

Markdown tables still not rendering on Confluence Cloud as of April 3, 2018.

Confluence is killing me. There are exactly ZERO intuitive ways to paste columnar data into HTML tables on the cloud version (because HTML macro not available). This is a CORE feature for content writers. How can they be messing this up so bad?

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Apr 18, 2017

Hi Carsten,

you're right. This table markdown is not working. It works (more or less), if you change the markup type to "Confluence Wiki".

Regards,

Thomas

Thanks for your feedback. I noticed that and actually, I’m using that at the moment, but I hoped to be able to use a more familiar format.

Shouldn't this be fixed?  I am using confluence and using the Confluence Wiki fixes the table, but the rest of the markdown does not work.

Just ran into this issue as well. Changing the markup type to Confluence Wiki does work, more or less, but then it will break any other Markdown that you're trying to add at the same time. One fewer hoop to jump through would be great!

I just tried it today in Confluence 1000.0.0-bb4822b3c2b. Pasting once for Markdown and re-pasting each table as Wiki works but is a real pain. Bad enough you cannot use just plain Markdown for native editing.

Yeah, we really need native support for Markdown in Confluence. 

Please add markdown table support

**It's still not working!!!**

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

496 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you