Using a Docker instance of Confluence, Installation Fails When Attempting to Install Database

europoint February 19, 2018

I have installed a Docker container of Confluence 6.7.1 on a Linux-based NAS with the the CONF_HOME routed to a volume on the host. The installation is behind a reverse proxy, with the appropriate variables applied. It connects to the host network over a bridge. I have ensured that the volume on the host has read/write permissions for "everyone".

I can connect successfully to the URL and apply my DB settings (MYSQL). The installation correctly finds the existing database and starts the db installation.

However, at setup/setupdbtype.action, it fails with the following Java bean error:

com.atlassian.config.ConfigurationException: Error creating bean with name 'exporter' defined in class path resource [jmxContext.xml]: Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.MBeanExporterWithUnregisterImpl]: No default constructor found; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: com.atlassian.confluence.jmx.MBeanExporterWithUnregisterImpl.<init>()
    at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.AbstractSetupAction.transitionFromColdToVacantState(AbstractSetupAction.java:162)

I know that generally the solution is to ensure read write permissions on the CONF_HOME, which I have set both on the host, and also attempted to carry out a CHOWN -R /var/atlassian/confluence from bash on the docker container itself, but it fails to change permissions on a number of directories.

Is anyone able to assist?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
David Binder
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 10, 2018

Hi,

We just had a very similar  problem which we managed to resolve. None of the existing articles or problem solutions solved our problem.

We managed to set up a docker container with confluence (also behind a reverse proxy) and complete the first steps of the configuration of the confluence instance, up to the point where you have to configure the database. After we entered the details of the database, confluence would compute for ~2-3 minutes and then we would get a 504 Timeout error.

The important point is to wait for another approx. 5 minutes before you reload or try to access the base url. If you reload or access the base url before, confluence would break down with the mentioned errors (Java Beans). But if you wait 5 minutes and reload after that you can proceed with the configuration.

The problem seems to be that the configuration of the database continues in the background on the container, but is interrupted if confluence receives another http request.

Best regards,

David

europoint April 10, 2018

David,

Many thanks for this! I tried it and it resolved the issue! Having tried variant of Java and installation, I can't believe it was as simple as waiting five minutes!

1 vote
Chenlei Ma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 16, 2018

I encounter the same problem, and tried everything mentioned above, and still not working.

David Binder
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 17, 2018

Hi,

The solution I proposed above was only a shortterm fix. A proper solution consists in changing the configuration of the reverse proxy. You have to increase the time limit the reverse proxy uses before it terminates an open session to something like 5 minutes instead of one minute. We used an nginx reverse proxy and, If I recall correctly, we applied the solution proposed here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24453388/nginx-reverse-proxy-causing-504-gateway-timeout

Regards,

Chenlei Ma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 17, 2018

Thanks David.

It works.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2018

Hi Matthew,

Can you have a look at this article and see if it resolves your issue,

Unable to start Confluence due to JMX

If not, can you stop Confluence, remove the following directories, and then restart and see if you still have the error? 

• <confluence-home>/bundled-plugins
    <confluence-home>/plugins-cache
    <confluence-home>/plugins-osgi-cache
    <confluence-home>/plugins-temp
    <confluence-home>/bundled-plugins_language

If that does not work, another user stated they had a similar issue, and explained their resolution in this response.

Regards,

Shannon

europoint February 22, 2018

Hi Shannon,

The error I reported was due to me attempting to resolve the initial "Spring Context has not been set" error I was received by adding the jmxContext.xml file as directed.

I have deleted those directories and restarted with no change in the resolution.

I have also changed the owner as directed in the third resolution both to "root" (the owner of the directory) and "daemon" (the owner of the files) in an attempt to resolve the issue.

The error I am getting following all those three is:

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)

caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.spring.container.SpringContainerContext.getComponent(SpringContainerContext.java:48)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2018

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for confirming.

That Spring Application error can have many different causes, and 10 of them are outlined on this article: Confluence does not start due to Spring Application context has not been set.

Could you review that page and try the fixes that you haven't yet explored (if any) and if you still have trouble, please let me know. I will be able to create a support ticket for you so we can obtain your full support zip.

Regards,

Shannon

europoint February 22, 2018

Hi Shannon,

I have tried the solutions for 1,3,5,8 and 10 (the issues that could potentially be relevant) and still do not have any resolution.

Regards,

Matthew

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 23, 2018

Thank you, Matthew.

I've created a support ticket for this now.

Could you please upload a copy of your log files to transfer.atlassian.io? This will automatically get added to your open support ticket so the team will be able to look at your issue.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events