Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Table of Contents with Excerpt/Excerpt-Include

Mira August 10, 2021

I have a set of Confluence pages where several similarly-structured child pages have a Table of Contents macro inside an Excerpt macro. The parent page then has a table showing each child page's table of contents, using the Excerpt Include macro. This made it easy to get straight from the parent page to a specific heading on any child page (i.e. go from the main page to "FAQs" on a subpage).

This was working fine up until a few weeks ago. Now, if a Table of Contents macro is inside an Excerpt macro, it becomes invisible. I'm not sure what update introduced this bug, but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a workaround or alternative solution.

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2021

Hello Mira,

Thank you for raising this in the Community! This is due to a known bug reported below:

• CONFCLOUD-72469 Table of Contents macro is not working with the excerpt and excerpt include macros

Unfortunately, there is no workaround at this time, but it is on our short-term backlog to fix. You can click This affects my team and be added to the list of watchers to receive updates in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Take care,

Shannon

Andrew Ferguson April 11, 2023

It's been nearly two years & this is still broken :/

Like Ingo Friedrich likes this
Antti Sorjamaa April 20, 2023

Where are we at with the fix to this? Just got bitten by this bug and would like to get it working.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2023

Hello everyone, thank you for your interest in this issue.

The product manager added a response on CONFCLOUD-72469, which I'll include below.

We would like to thank you for your comments about the way the Table of Contents macro works within the Excerpt and Excerpt Include macros.

We designed the Table of Contents macro to only work within the page, blog or macro it has been inserted. It cannot reference or be referenced across multiple pages or blogs, meaning that when it is added to an Excerpt macro, it will only display headings located inside the excerpt. Those heading links won't navigate to the source page.

Based on that, the functionality reported for Table of Contents Macro is actually not a bug, it is working as expected, which we also updated the documentation to reflect it:

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/insert-the-table-of-contents-macro/

I have thus made note of this expected behavior in the Table of Contents documentation and converted this bug to a feature request so that you can track our progress.

Shannon | Atlassian Community support

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events