Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using REST API & Curl, how do I delete a confluence history version?

Rick Lewis June 29, 2021

Hi,

We're running Confluence 7.11.  I have a page that has over 5000 versions in the page history.  Obviously, deleting each page version 1 by 1 by point and click is a non-starter.  Google is not showing any workable answers.  What is the right way/url to delete a specific page history version using the REST API?  

I've tried the following URL approaches and none have been successful:

• mysiteblah/rest/api/content/${incontentid}/version/1  -> ERROR
  • mysiteblah/rest/api/content/${incontentid}/1 -> ERROR
  • mysiteblah/rest/api/content/${incontentid}?version=1 -> Deletes whole page
  • mysiteblah/rest/experimental/content/${incontentid}/1 -> ERROR
  • mysiteblah/wiki/rest/api/content/${incontentid}/2 -> ERROR

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rick Lewis October 1, 2021

It's been a long time but I finally figured part of this out.  I ended up re-writing my purge prior history program in Python3.  With the use of the Atlassian Confluence API, it provides a method for deleting prior versions.  ie: 

confluenceinst.remove_content_history(title_pageid, version_number)

Even though this isn't a shell/curl solution, it works well.  If you're curious, the REST API URL it uses inside the Atlassian library is of the form:

"rest/experimental/content/{id}/version/{versionNumber}"
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2021

That's great Rick, thank you for sharing the solution here :)

0 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2021

Hi, Can you try the answer provided in this thread and see if that works for you ?

Rick Lewis August 24, 2021

It doesn't work for me.  I get this error: 

"HTTP Status 405 – Method Not Allowed

The method received in the request-line is known by the origin server but not supported by the target resource."

The url I used was: https://confluenceblah.blah/wiki/rest/api/content/1048446960/version/2

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events