Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Confluence with restricted documentation

Simon G_ July 23, 2015

Hi!

We are a small company planning to use JIRA Service Desk linked with Confluence to provide documentation to our customer. But we want be able to provide some documentation for everyone, even people who are not customer of our product, then provide documentation only to our customers.

To do this, I am obliged to have a license for each user to separate them in different groups, right? But it will be users in "read-only" mode, with the same rights than anonymous users, but with more documentation accessible.

So I see two solution but none of them are satisfying:

• I create all my documentation for anonymous so I have a license for each user of my staff only. My documentation will be accessible by anyone
  • I create my documentation with group restriction, but I need a license for each of my user, even the one in read only. Then the price explodes in comparison of the competition.

So, do I miss something or do you know a way to adapt Confluence to my needs?

Best Regards.

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2015

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no way around it. We are in the same situation as you. We have documentation that we want everyone to see so we open it to anonymous, then we have documentation we only want certain customers to see and keep private. For that we need to make them users and add them to groups. 

How many users are we talking about here? 

Simon G_ July 23, 2015

Today I have more than 500 single user. Even if I group the users to create a single user by company, I will need around 250 users... It still too expensive :/

Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2015

Yea I was going to say that the only thing you can do to save money is make so that everyone at a company has to use the same user. Other than that there really is no way around it. If you want private spaces you need to have users in confluence. You may be able to do some kind of IP block or allowing certain IPs to access a specific page/space but that's a lot of work and could cause issues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events