Using Confluence for Project Management

Laura Minen September 5, 2023

Hi! Is there a way to effectively use Confluence for Project Management? The team I'm working with would prefer to use Confluence instead of Jira to keep track of and collaborate in all of their activities. Thanks!

4 answers

4 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 8, 2023

Hey, @Laura Minen! I just stumbled upon your post and wanted to let you know we recently launched a new networking group for program and project management professionals: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Program-Management-Professionals/gh-p/program-management-professionals 

Just figured I'd give it a shoutout in case you'd be interested in joining like-minded folks there for discussion! 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2023

Because you can create tasks, assign them to people, represent the status with emojis, you can certainly use Confluence as a lightweight PM tool.

But, if you need more than these, like workflows, reports, etc., then Jira is much-much better.

If you don't want Jira's all complexity, coming Jira Software and Jira Service Management, then you could maybe try Jira Work Management, which is rather simple to get familiar with.

Laura Minen September 18, 2023

Good call, Aron! Thanks!

Like Aron Gombas _Midori_ likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2023

Hi @Laura Minen,

If you have both Jira & Confluence and the work items (tickets, tasks, stories, etc) are in Jira but you prefer to do the project tracking in Confluence, take a look at our Great Gadgets for Confluence Cloud app. 

It offers many macros that can be embedded in Confluence pages for creating powerful project reports. 

image.png

Our app offers all the tools needed for tracking projects, especially Scrum, Agile, SAFe or ISTM. You can find more use cases on our blog.

May be a graphic of text

Danut.

Laura Minen September 18, 2023

Thanks, Danut! I'll look into this too.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2023

Assuming you don't need a ticket system, yes. Have a look at https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/templates/collections/project-management, where you'll find the PM templates collection.

You can achieve that in multiple ways using multiple artifacts. For example, you can have a page with a table where you have your tasks, resources, start/end date, status, etc. Meeting notes, technical and business documentation, etc. There are pretty good marketplace apps that can help you make your documentation more robust if needed.

Although the answer here could well be an article, I'll try to keep it short. I would only consider not tracking tasks in Jira if the project was simple enough that a table would suffice. There are many things to consider, such as stakeholders involved, scope, timeline, dependencies, etc. Also, it's a red flag when users prefer not to use Jira. I get that some users are allergic to Jira, which is typically associated with a bad experience due to poor configuration or many other reasons, which is another rabbit hole. 

In Confluence, for every project within your organization, it's a good practice to define a standard structure so people can navigate between projects more efficiently and not get lost when switching projects or starting a new one. For example, depending on the project, some organizations have different setups with lightweight sets of documentation/pages and more extensive ones for larger engagements. This is important to drive adoption and increase efficiency and all those fancy terms; otherwise, as you're facing with Jira, your users might come back and say they prefer something else. So, based on your question, you're on the right path here.

Keep it simple, friendly and sweet as a general rule of thumb. 99% of the time, the simplest does the job pretty well to kick things off, and you can adjust it as you go. Apologies if I haven't answered your question directly, but I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts and experiences, which will contribute to getting you started here ;)

Laura Minen September 7, 2023

Thank you for your detailed reply, Ivan. Your opinion is very helpful!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events