Using Confluence as a context sensitive help system for my web app

Rich January 8, 2023

Hi,

I am thinking of using Confluence as a context sensitive help system for my web app. Is anyone doing this? I assume I would have 1 user per customer that I can control access etc and provide links inside my app to the various pages in Confluence.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

1 answer

1 vote
Laura Parraga -K15t- January 9, 2023

Hi Rich,

Linking to Confluence pages could certainly work as long as the space or page is accessible to the user or is set to anonymous access.

However, I can imagine that it's pretty unexpected for your users to land on a Confluence page from your web app. It's certainly uncommon. 

If I may recommend a different approach: I'm part of a team that develops Scroll Viewport, an app for Confluence that allows you to create a help center out of your Confluence content. A help article within this help center looks like this: https://goodsoftware.k15t.dev/cleverapp/defining-roles. As you can see, it's a much cleaner and focused representation of your Confluence content. The help center also allows your users to easily navigate or search for other help content.

Not only can you link to a Viewport page from your app but you could also call the page directly in your web app via an iframe. For this purpose, we offer an even more simplified, in-app help optimized view of the article. It could look like this within your app:

iframe in-app help.png

If you're interested, you can test the app for free for 30 days from the marketplace. If you have any questions, let me know! You can also reach out via help@k15t.com.

Good Luck! 

Laura

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events