Users vs. Licensed Users

BASIS_ed Analytics July 28, 2022

When I go into USER MANAGEMENT (for Confluence), I show 325 users. Yet under LICNESED DETAILS, I show having 243 licensed users.

What explains that difference? How can I tell which of 325 total users are actually using up a license? 

Ultimately, I need to free up a few more licenses, but am not sure exactly who is using up a license and who isn't.

2 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2022

Users is the list of people your directory is telling Confluence might be using it.

Licenced users are a sub-set of that list, it's all the ones who can log into and use Confluence.

To free up licence seats, you can either remove people from the group(s) that say "can log into Confluence", or flag them as "inactive", which shuts down all their access.

Bingo. This seemed to do the trick. I was able to find which group(s) had the CAN USE permission in place and found the vast majority of people with licenses. Thank you.

0 votes
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2022

Hi @BASIS_ed Analytics ,

Welcome to Community. 

You can also print the users who are counting toward license. The below KB article has the steps. You can check on the same. 

I hope the above info helps. Have a good day!

Thanks,

Srinath T

These instructions didn't help me much. Looking at the log files and/or <home directory> either doesn't work for me or, more likely, I have no idea what I'm doing. Fortunately, Nic's answer above led me to the right answer. Thanks for the response!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events