Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User with View/Edit Privileges on a Page can view it but not edit it

Nicolas Richards October 5, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Page Restrictions

We have a Space where everyone can View, and a Page in that Space that has Viewing and Editing Restricted to a few users. None of that page's parents have any restrictions.

Yet one of the named users can see the page but can't edit it, despite being one of those explicitly named as having View and Edit privileges for that page.

The only way I can grant him edit privileges is to name him on the Space Permission level instead.  But the Page Restriction should work.  Any idea why it isn't when none of the parent pages have restrictions?

2 answers

1 vote
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2016

You grant space Pages Add permission to any user or group that needs to edit a page in that space.

Nicolas Richards October 5, 2016

Thank you for the response, and that is how I got around the issue.  But shouldn't this work instead:

• User A has View permission on the Space level
  • User A has View/Edit restriction set on a particular Page in that Space

What we want is for that user to only be able to edit that one page, but view everything else in that space.  If I do what you suggest, and what I already did as a workaround, gives that user edit permission throughout the space, and that is not what I want.

Why does giving Read/Write to a user for a page not allow them to edit that page?

Like Torin likes this
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2016

The "hierarchy of doing things is

The User must have edit capabilities associated with their Permissions level to the Space

If they have Edit capabilities in their Permissions, then you can Restrict which of those people can edit a particular page by using the Edit Restrictions

So if their Space Permission is view only, they cannot edit any page regardless of Page Restrictions.

Note that Page View Restrictions and Page Edit Restrictions work differently and independently.

Page View Restrictions are automatically inherited by its Child pages and hence you can create a "private" set of pages for a select set of Users of the Space - none of the other Space Users can see those pages exist

Page Edit Restrictions must be applied page-by-page but of course to edit you must be able to view so if Page View Restrictions have been set, the Editor must also be included in the Page View Restrictions.  If no Page View Restrictions have been set, then all Users can see but you can still set Page Edit Restrictions to the select people

Like # people like this
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2016

Think of it this way, anyone can look through your bathroom window, but for them to use your bathroom, you have to give them access to the house first.

Like Steve likes this
Nicolas Richards October 6, 2016

Thank you both, that explains it very well.  I have a better understanding of the process now.

0 votes
Jaydeep Bhati October 2, 2018

Hi,

I am facing this issue as well where I cannot provide a user an EDIT permission on a page, given they have READ access to the Space.

There should be a capability to give the user READ access of the Space but only EDIT certain pages in that Space. 

Thanks,

StephanieC October 16, 2018

The answers above give you the solution. You CAN give a user READ access to the Space and EDIT only certain pages, but you must let them "into the house" first, giving them "Add Page" permission on the Space level. 

Keep in mind you will then have to ensure they are restricted FROM Editing (View Only) the other pages on the Parent Page Level. (children inherit parent permissions)

jasminperalta September 17, 2020

You mean, if I want to let a user, who is part of another team and has no general edit permission in our space, let participate on a single topic, I will have to remove his edit permission on every other page by the and for every single page which will be created by anybody in the future?

If I got you right and that's the permssion logic here, that's no solution at all!

Like Joanna Bajda likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events