User in multiple groups how do permissions and restriction then get applied?

I have 2 user groups:

confluence-users group  Permission: Cannot delete pages

Group 2 Permission: Can delete pages

Some users in the confluence-users group will also appear in Group2.

When I apply restrictions to pages if I restrict it to confluence-users group does that mean Group 2 users, that also appear in the confluence-users group, be able to delete the pages because they have the permission from the Group 2 group? or do they only get the permissions assigned to confluence-users group on that page i.e. cannot delete the page?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

It's permissive, so it's an "or".

In your example, let's say you have:

• Alice: is in confluence-users
  • Bob: is in group-2
  • Chuck: is in both confluence-users and group-2

Your permission say that only people in group-2 can delete pages.  So, Alice can't delete, because she's not in a group that lets it happen.  Bob and Chuck can both delete because they are in group-2 which can delete.

Chuck's membership of confluence-users does not matter because the group confluence-users does not grant any permission to delete.  It's not really "confluence-users group cannot delete", it's actually "confluence-users group doesn't allow delete, so it's not relevant"

This widget could not be displayed.

do you have permission to check what each group can and cannot do?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

459 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you