Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User count for internal directory with LDAP authentication

Frederic Close February 27, 2012

Hello,

from a license point of view how are users counted when you use an internal directory with LDAP authentication ?

Is it the

• number of users that can potentatially login
  • or is the number of users that have at least connected once to confluence i.e. users in the internal directory.

thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2012

Hi Close,

It's the number of users that can potentially log in, specifically the number of users with the "Can Use" permission. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=204052342 for details.

Hope that helps?

Andrew.

Frederic Close February 27, 2012

I understand that is the case for external directory.

But in this case I'd like to know about internal directory with authentication delegated LDAP authentication

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2012

Hi Close,

It's the same, anyone who has the "Can Use" permission counts against your license so it depends on how you configure the directory. If you create all of the users manually and do not select the option to "Copy Users on Login" then only those users that you create will be able to login and therefore count against your license. If you do select the option to "Copy Users on Login" and map LDAP groups to groups that have the "Can Use" permission then every user in those groups will be able to log in and will therefore count against the license.

E.g. you have 2000 users in LDAP, you select the option to "Copy Users on Login" and configure Confluence to add them to the confluence-users group. 2000 users can therefore log in and will count as 2000 users against your license.

EDIT: once a user logs in and is copied to the confluence-users group then they count against the license. So if 1500 of the 2000 log in then the count will be 1500.

E.g. you have 2000 users in LDAP, you do not select the option to "Copy Users on Login", manually add 50 of those users to the "Internal with LDAP" directory and add them to the confluence-users group. 50 user can therefore log in and will count as 50 users against your license.

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Connecting+to+an+Internal+Directory+with+LDAP+Authentication for details of the different options for configuring an internal directory with LDAP authentication.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, but does that help?

Andrew.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events