Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Macro Confluence 7.4 - Can't apply method to $content.lastModificationDate data type

Joe Johnson (Inf) June 30, 2020

Hello,

I have a user macro (developed by someone else who is no longer available to help debug) which worked in Confluence 6.13.7 but no longer works in 7.4. For context, I'm a Confluence administrator but do not understand Velocity in-depth.

I've determined where the issue is and probably what's happening, but I don't know how to fix it:

#set($review=$content.currentDate)
#set($valid=$content.lastModificationDate)
#set($diff=$review.getTime()-$valid.getTime())

The above code is the offender: the third line uses the .getTime() method on $review and $valid to return the unix time of each date and compare them to finally return a number of milliseconds difference between the two ($diff).

This works fine in 6.13 but in 7.4 it appears that the .getTime() method no longer works on the $valid variable. I suspect that it's because the data type is wrong or something like that. Is it possible to somehow convert the data so I can apply the method to it?

I wrote a very basic macro just to output the contents to the screen for troubleshooting:

## @noparams
#set($review=$content.currentDate)
#set($valid=$content.lastModificationDate)
#set($diff=$review.getTime()-$valid.getTime())

<h2>Vanilla</h2> <br>
$review <br>
$valid <br>
$diff <br>
<br>

<h2>GetTime Method Applied</h2> <br>
$review.getTime() <br>
$valid.getTime() <br>
$diff <br>
<br>

As an example, this is the output that I get:

Vanilla

Tue Jun 30 10:31:02 CEST 2020
2020-06-30 09:29:37.283
$diff

GetTime Method Applied

$valid.getTime()
$diff

What's really strange is that when I created this same troubleshooting macro in 6.13, the output in the vanilla section for $valid *looks* the same format in both versions of confluence - e.g. *2020-06-30 09:29:37.283* but the data is obviously not the same type.

Any help appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Johnson (Inf) July 1, 2020

Hello all,

In the end I found this post which describes the same issue I was having it looks like a change due to a security issue caused this unexpected behaviour. Atlassian are aware and apparently looking into a fix.

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/velocity-compare-2-dates/38614

In the meantime, based on the answers given in the above post, I managed to create a workaround. The post above just wanted to check whether two dates match, whereas I needed to check the difference (i.e. <30 days and >365 days):

#set($modified = $content.lastModificationDate)
#set($review30 = $action.dateFormatter.calendar)
#set($review365 = $action.dateFormatter.calendar)

$review30.setTime($content.currentDate)
$review365.setTime($content.currentDate)

$review30.add(6, -30)
$review365.add(6, -365)

#if ($review30.getTime().compareTo($modified) < 1) Less than 30 days
#elseif ($review365.getTime().compareTo($modified) > -1) Greater than 365 days
#end

This allows me to check $modified against $review30 and $review365 and output (1, 0, -1) depending on the result, and do something, in the above case simply print a message.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone who comes across the same issue.

Thanks!

0 votes
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2020

all public methods are accessible in velocity, just like java. check public methods with the following docu and see if your time method is still there:

context.put('class', new ClassTool());

http://velocity.apache.org/tools/devel/apidocs/org/apache/velocity/tools/generic/ClassTool.html

or some trial and error with:

https://docs.atlassian.com/DAC/javadoc/confluence/4.2.4/reference/com/atlassian/confluence/core/DateFormatter.html

e.g

$action.dateFormatter.formatDateTime($content.getLastModificationDate())
Joe Johnson (Inf) July 1, 2020

Thanks! I've done quite a lot of digging in the reference documentation and to be honest, as I'm not an engineer by trade it I tend to find the API reference docs pretty arcane. I enlisted some help from an engineer friend, and eventually found a solution - see below

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events