User Avatar not visible in Jira's activity stream when connected to Confluence

Sylhos March 15, 2018

Hello. I was looking at my Activity Stream in Jira Software and noticed that user avatars would not display. It affects activities coming from Confluence only.

I went to Confluence and signed myself in with the "remember me" checked. After that, the Jira Software Activity Stream shows the user avatars for those activities.

I have read that the only available option is to enable anonymous access in Confluence, but that is not an option in my case. I need the system locked from anonymous access.

I believe it has to do with permissions but haven't been able to find a solution in the community.

For the moment I have unchecked Confluence from the stream, but would like to know if there is a better solution.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

Victor,

At first, I thought that the avatar can only be seen by users who have the View User Profiles permission:

So either the Jira users have to also have Confluence licenses, or you have to give anonymous access.

However, I did find this bug ticket:

I believe this could be the reason the avatars are not showing if it's not a permissions issue.

Please feel free to comment on that bug with your findings, and vote on it to help show the number of users who are running into the issue.

I'm not aware of any workarounds for this, but keep an eye on that bug in case one is found.

Regards,
Shannon

Sylhos March 16, 2018

Thank you Shannon for looking into it.  I think it is more related to the 2nd bug ticket, but I believe it is a permission issue.  It seems that this is not a "single sign-on" environment, so if you haven't logged in to Confluence, there is no access to the account avatars from Jira.  The problem I see is that when I try to only enable the anonymous access in Confluence to "View User Profile", it asks me to also enable "Use Confluence", making it fully available to anonymous users, which is not what I want.

If that is fixed, there is a chance that the icons will show everywhere.  In the meantime, I am taking out Confluence's activities from Jira.

Thanks again!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2018

You're welcome, Victor.

Please feel free to share those details on the bug ticket.

Take care, and have a pleasant weekend.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events