Use value as variable in JIRA queries

Deleted user October 8, 2019

As a release manager I have to create release notes for the releases that are happening in my application. I have a field that defines a string value of release version(equals to version name created in the releases).

Also I have several JIRA queries on that page that represents what was fixed, what's new and a complete list of the tickets.

The pain of the issue is that along with defining release version in these release notes I have to navigate into EACH JIRA query and update each fixVersion in query like:

Project = project AND fixVersion = fixVersion

(and hit this annoying search button to update the display, unless chages are not applied).

Is there any way to make this functionality a standard solution for Confluence? -> using a value from the page as a variable value in the query on the same page.

P.S. earliestUnreleasedVersion() is not an option for solving this as release notes should stay consistent during all the time they are referenced. When earliestUnreleasedVersion() is used and the code is released into some intermediate environment, a new sprint starts and I have to close current sprint and hit "Release" button and create a next version of release notes. When OPS guy is creating a playbook for releasing into production environment, he sees release notes for previous sprint corrupted since earliestUnreleasedVersion() already refers next sprint version.

1 answer

0 votes
Zoi Raskou
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

Hello Alexander, the way I understand your question is that you want to populate a macro parameter with some of the page's content, is this correct? 

This might have been possible by creating your custom user macro if you were on Server, however user macros are not available on Cloud. 

One way to do this is to write you own plugin, although I am not sure if the time and effort put into that would justify it. 

Perhaps a more efficient solution would be to use an app (Space Tree Creator for instance - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214324/space-tree-creator-blueprint-template) which does support placeholders which will be added in pages/spaces. Essentially you will be using a template with the macros already defined and you will only need to change the placeholder's value.

Deleted user October 23, 2019

This plugin is good, but not a perfect fit for my case.

Imagine a person having release notes that has a fixVersion that is incremented by each 2w.

So the thing I'm looking for is:

1. I'm creating a brand new(but from template) release notes page on Cofluence for particular release
  2. I'm specifying a fixVersion. Let's say in a way of $FixVersion = 10.23.2019(or smth similar)
  3. And instead of using Project = project AND fixVersion = 10.23.2019 in my JQL, I dream to use smth like Project = project AND fixVersion = $FixVersion, so it automatically parses the value I mention one time at the header of the page and apply it to query filters.
Andrei Birta July 10, 2023

Hi @[deleted] I'm in the same situation as you. Did you find an alternative for JIRA cloud?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events