Upvotes for content such as list items

Charisma Riley October 21, 2018

I have been researching this issue for days with nigh any helpful results: native Confluence Cloud solutions (plug-ins, etc) and Third-party solutions (macros). Nothing even comes close. We have a place in Vonfluence where people are listing ideas. We want to be able to have the team members vote on each one they like. I understand that I may need to make my own Atlassian Connect script or something but I literally have no idea how a script for this function would be built/written. If anyone can give me a boost or a place to start, I’d be so appreciative! I’m not an expert programmer, nor am I a slouch with it either, I’m just not really getting how to build something like this with Connect, specifically. Thank you in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2018

Hi Charisma,

In Atlassian we often use Questions for Confluence for this. You can post a topic as the question, and then people can put "answers" for their ideas. Then they can be upvoted or downvoted and you can accept the best answer.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Charisma Riley October 22, 2018

Thank you, Shannon. I did see that offering, and I will present it as an option to my team. I'm partly concerned, however, that I will have to re-do the pages with this macro in order to get this specific project rolling. However, I also know hat one we start using it, it would only need to be re-done once. Is there a way to restrict users to voting only once on each item? And how about voting on sub-items?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2018

Hi Charisma,

I think by sub-items you mean comments on Answers? It's only possible to vote on Answers themselves. 

In addition, it's not possible to restrict users from upvoting more than one answer.

Otherwise, you can check out some of the available 3rd-party voting add-ons for Confluence Cloud.

If you still think you want to develop your own add-on for Cloud, you can reach out to our separate Developer Community if you have any specific questions about the Connect documentation. They will be happy to assist!

Regards,

Shannon

Charisma Riley October 23, 2018

Shannon, I appreciate your additional suggestions.

As for what i meant by "sub-items," I mean nested list items. We may want people to vote on the overall concept as well as more specific, individual ideas underneath it.

There may be one other product in that assortment we will try, and in any case, we will probably go with at least one of them for a little bit because we don't really have any immediate options, whereas we *do* have immediate need. :/ I will be continuing the Connect project, however, because we still need the following functionality:

• Ability to vote on nested list items (sub-lists, like 1., 1.1, 1.2, . . ., 2., 2.1, 2.2, . . .  etc.)
  • Ability to restrict voting per "ballot" (a wrapper around a single set of things to vote on) to specific groups or individuals, whilst still allowing others to view the page.
  • Ability to call-out an idea that is filtered based on specific criteria from the votes (ex, the most popular idea) via a link to that item in the list from another page. This means each item will also need to become an anchor for links.
  • Ability to change, per "ballot," whether people can vote only once or multiple times.

I have not seen any of this functionality in any of the currently commercially available products in the Marketplace apps.  If that was to change, I might not have to go through all of this to get the job done. I suppose we'll see what is developed in the time that it takes me to build my own.

Thank you again for getting back to me on each and every one of my issues, however! I have found you to be extremely helpful and informative.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2018

Hi Charisma,

Indeed, with your requirements, it doesn't appear that Questions would suit your needs.

I've tagged the Marketplace collection on this question, so at least that any vendors who offer a similar product could see an example of their audience's requirements and might be able to consider including these in their add-on in the future.

If any of them happen to offer the same, they can respond directly to you here.

As always, happy to help!

Regards,

Shannon

Like Amir likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events