Upgrading from 2.10 to 4.3

Bron February 21, 2013

Hi,

I am upgrading from confluence cluster 2.10 to 4.3. I have to migrate from weblogic to tomcat, then upgrade from 2.10 to 3.5, then 3.5 to 4.3 and then upgrade oracle 10g to 11g.

Are these steps correct and in the right order? How do I minimise downtime? Should I upgrade the database first, as the database is Oracle 10g it is not compatible with 4.3, will this be an issue?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2013

I'd stick with the compatible route. 10g and 4.3 probably will work, but the combination is not supported, and if you run into problems, you'll need to go back.

So, I'd step through

• 2.10 + 10g
  • 3.5 + 10g
  • 3.5 + 11g
  • 4.3 + 11g
Bron February 21, 2013

Thanks Nic,

Would you suggest doing all of this at the one time, so one long downtime or in stages over a few days?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2013

I would do it in test first, get a feel for each step, and then you'll know how long a downtime it is. It depends on your organisation and when you can arrange it all more than the technical bits.

I'd tend towards one long downtime because it means less overhead - you know you're going to be in the office for the duration, you only need to do one change-control, etc etc etc, but if it doesn't fit into one window, then it's not a problem to step through it. Stepping has the advantage that if one step goes wrong, you only have to roll back one step and re-plan, rather than the whole lot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events