Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Confluence and Database together

timrmoore July 19, 2011

I'm a bit stuck on this one.

I have 2.7.4 on windows server 2008 connecting to an SQL 2000 database (this is the interim step from 2.6.0)

I need to get to 3.5.7 on windows 2008 connecting to an SQL 2008 database

2.7.4 doesn't seem to support a 2008 DB, while 3.5.7 doesn't seem to support a 2000 DB

So I'm in a bit of a chicken and egg situation I think. I can't upgrade the software install to point to the old DB and I can't upgrade the DB and point the existing install to it (or can I?!)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2011

I would need to check the various details - but you should be able to use the xml export import method.

export your current data to xml then import that into your empty new version and DB.

You may be better off hopping to an intermediary verison first rather than try to go all in one step, and that may enable you to move using the more automated in-situ db upgrade.

Else follow the instructions for moving to new Database:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrate+to+Another+Database

timrmoore July 19, 2011

Hi Martin, I didn't think you could do an upgrade and a DB migration at the same time?

I'm thinking 2.9 might be the next step as it Supports 2005 and works with 2000, but then I'll need yet another DB created.

Atlassian support have advised I shouldn't need another step (already gone 2.6.0 to 2.7.4), but I can't see how else to do it.

Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2011

In normal circumstances, its not advised you want to de-risk as much as possible - but the xml is database independant making your confluence data pretty portable in reality. As always would test first of course.

From a quick check, 2000 support was last mentioned in 2.8. 2.9 only lists 2005

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF29/List+Of+Supported+Databases

(2.7.4 is the minimum version from the confluence side)

timrmoore July 19, 2011

Yeah, this is the test migration. Will give it a go

0 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2011

I upticked Martin's answer, it's basically the same one I'd give. One caveat - the XML backup is notoriously unreliable. If you hit an error you can troubleshoot it. Start with XML Backups and Space Exports Troubleshooting and find the error in the logs for the article you need from there.

Alternatively, you can run the upgrade to 3.5, then use a native database tool to migrate your data from 2000 to 2008 (I bet it will work, it's just not supported - it had performance problems and we deprecated it for that reason).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events