Upgrade from Confluence 3.0.1

Deleted user March 30, 2014

We are currently running confluence 3.0.1 in our production environment and are looking to upgrade to Confluence 5.4.

What is the recommended upgrade path? Also, i believe we need to upgrade our license to move from 3.0.1 to later versions. Is this correct?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AlexH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2014

We just went from 3.5.x to 5.4.4 by way of 5.0.3. (i.e. 3.5.6 -> 5.0.3 -> 5.4.4). We found the 5.0.3 step was required to make sure our data came through with a clean and error-free upgrade.

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2014

I would recomend to migrate through latest versions of each major release, did similary myself recently. So 3.0.1 -> 3.5.17 -> 4.3.7 -> 5.4.

But there are a LOT of changes, so try it in test environment before.

If you have valid license maintenance for 5.4 (valid on +- 3 December 2013) you will not have problems with licenses.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2014

The recommended path is definitely 3.0.1 to 3.5 first - it can be quite painful to upgrade from anything below 3.5 to 4 and above. You should then test 3.5 to 5.4 - I've done that twice recently, one was plain-sailing, the other made a horrid mess and we ended up doing 3.5 -> 4.2 -> 5.4. It depends on the data and plugins, so I can't tell you a preferred route.

Your licence upgrade isn't an issue, you can just click "upgrade" in your Atlassian account and it'll generate a new one which is valid for 4+.

0 votes
Felix Grund (Scandio)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 30, 2014

In most cases you should probably stick to the official upgrade guide. It always depends on your environment. Especially the third-party plugins installed and how contents touched by them upgrade might make your overall upgrade more complex.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events