It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Upgrade error message

Thomas Berger Oct 05, 2017
 Upgrade failed. Please consult the system logs for details. You will need to fix these problems, restore your database and confluence home directory to the pre upgrade state. Then retry the upgrade. Upgrade error message: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.PopulateLowerFieldsUpgradeTask@3dd836e2 failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [drop index s_lspacekey_idx on SPACES]; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: Cannot drop the index 'SPACES.s_lspacekey_idx', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Your server id is: B0B7-71VE-QNWZ-PLH0

I'm testing upgrading v5.9.14 to v6.4.1 to no avail. Any hints why the SQL error is triggered?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Boon Hui Tan Atlassian Team Oct 06, 2017

Hey Thomas,

The index s_lspacekey_idx is being introduced from Confluence 5.10 onwards so when the Confluence 6.4 upgrade trying to drop it, it will fail (as the index does not exist).

try this upgrade path: 5.9.14 > 5.10.8 > 6.4.1
this should be alright.

Note: You'll need to rollback to the working 5.9.14 first before upgrading again.

Ankit Mathur Jan 10, 2019

Shouldn't this be mentioned and highlighted in the Upgrade notes? The fact that the upgrade path from 5.x to 6.x is not direct, is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation, as far as I looked.

Chris M Apr 30, 2019

The documentation is still incorrect. Please change the Upgrade Path section of the latest documentation.  It currently says If your version is 5.0 to 6.x, "upgrade directly to the latest version".  We tried that last week and and it failed because of this issue.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrading-confluence-4578.html#UpgradingConfluence-1.Determineyourupgradepath

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

6 Awesome Ways to Apply Trello, JIRA and Confluence to your Project

I attended  Atlassian Summit 2019  and learned a lot from the presenters, attendees and knowledgeable Atlassian product managers. The presentations I attended focused on applying Agile, pla...

909 views 6 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you