Upgrade error message

Thomas Berger October 5, 2017
 Upgrade failed. Please consult the system logs for details. You will need to fix these problems, restore your database and confluence home directory to the pre upgrade state. Then retry the upgrade. Upgrade error message: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.PopulateLowerFieldsUpgradeTask@3dd836e2 failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: StatementCallback; bad SQL grammar [drop index s_lspacekey_idx on SPACES]; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: Cannot drop the index 'SPACES.s_lspacekey_idx', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Your server id is: B0B7-71VE-QNWZ-PLH0

I'm testing upgrading v5.9.14 to v6.4.1 to no avail. Any hints why the SQL error is triggered?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Damien Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2017

Hey Thomas,

The index s_lspacekey_idx is being introduced from Confluence 5.10 onwards so when the Confluence 6.4 upgrade trying to drop it, it will fail (as the index does not exist).

try this upgrade path: 5.9.14 > 5.10.8 > 6.4.1
this should be alright.

Note: You'll need to rollback to the working 5.9.14 first before upgrading again.

Ankit Mathur January 10, 2019

Shouldn't this be mentioned and highlighted in the Upgrade notes? The fact that the upgrade path from 5.x to 6.x is not direct, is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation, as far as I looked.

Chris M April 30, 2019

The documentation is still incorrect. Please change the Upgrade Path section of the latest documentation.  It currently says If your version is 5.0 to 6.x, "upgrade directly to the latest version".  We tried that last week and and it failed because of this issue.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/upgrading-confluence-4578.html#UpgradingConfluence-1.Determineyourupgradepath

Like Jay Cardona likes this
Ankit Mathur February 6, 2020

Three years later, it looks like there is no intention to update this.

Like Jay Cardona likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

I am getting similar errors on upgrade - is this the same problem?  Do I need to go to 5.10.8 first?

Upgrade error message: Upgrade task com.atlassian.confluence.upgrade.upgradetask.MsSqlServerAoUpgradeTask@22fa027f failed during the SCHEMA_UPGRADE phase due to: StatementCallback;uncategorized SQLException for SQL [DROP INDEX "AO_6384AB_FEATURE_METADATA_AO"."index_ao_6384ab_fea1458039816";];SQL state [S0007]; error code [3701]; Cannot drop the index 'AO_6384AB_FEATURE_METADATA_AO.index_ao_6384ab_fea1458039816', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.;nested exception is com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Cannot drop the index 'AO_6384AB_FEATURE_METADATA_AO.index_ao_6384ab_fea1458039816', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

Also, is the need to go to 5.10 documented anywhere?

Meetu February 14, 2021

I am having issue upgrading from 5.8.3 to 7.4.7, do I need to upgrade to 5.10 first?

Thomas Berger February 14, 2021

Yes, update to 5.10.x first

Cheers,

Thomas

Like Meetu likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2021

OK but why is it necessary to go to 5.10 first if its not documented?  If it is necessary why isnt it documented?

Basically, why has the documentation failed?

Like Meetu likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events