Upgrade Confluence by installer or manually

Alfie Patolilic May 8, 2017

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I would be able to upgrade my current Confluence instance in Linux. my current Confluence version is 4.3.1, and I am planning on upgrading it to the latest version, which is 6.1.1. I understand that I have to upgrade to the latest version of 5.10 before I can proceed to 6.1.1.

But I am very unsure as to how I will proceed with this upgrade. I am not sure as to how my current Confluence instance was installed, as it was installed by someone else in the company before I had arrived, also there was no information or documentation made on how it was installed.

I have checked for more information online, for example on this site. it mentions that if using a standalone installation, I can use the installer to upgrade it: 

I have also checked my instance, and from the README.txt, it tell me that it is of a 'Standalone distribution', with a built in Tomcat webserver. which means that it was installed using an Linux installer, because if an installer is used, the latest JRE and Tomcat is installed along with it.

But when checking the download for the installers, it shows the ZIP/TAR.GZ archive as the standalone installer.

How will I know in this case?. I apologise if I am unclear on some parts of my question. I have only been using the application recently.

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2017

You may download and use the Confluence 5.10.8 .bin installer in your case. I recommend using it because it will supply the JRE and you won't have to set JAVA_HOME or worry about making sure you have a supported Java version.

Per Upgrading Confluence, you only have to use the tar.gz or .zip archive if:

"you are moving to another operating system or file location as part of this upgrade.
you are upgrading from Confluence 3.5 or earlier
you are upgrading from Confluence 5.6 or earlier and previously used the EAR/WAR distribution to deploy Confluence into an existing application server. "

I welcome any follow up questions! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events