Upgrade Confluence 6.13 and Mysql 5.7 ?

Frédéric Théry April 4, 2020

Dear community,

Having installed a confluence server instance recently for my own purposes, with a 10 user licence, I have just finished today the switch from H2 to a Mysql db.

Running Confluence Server 6.13.10, I had to use Mysql 5.7.

I must say it is all running smoothly and appears to fit my needs so far.

Since I've spent some time migrating, configuring, and setting up automated backups, and still have my hands under the hood, I'm wondering if it could be a good idea to upgrade to Confluence server 7+, and mysql 8+ while I'm at it.

(Specially since EOL end 2020).

Is there a specific documentation for this process ?

If I can take this direction, should I upgrade Confluence first, and mysql second ?

Or would that be a difficult road to take today ?

Best regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Victoria
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2020

Hi @Frédéric Théry

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

We recommend you to always check for new releases and keep your Confluence instance updated. 

As per our documentation Confluence Supported Platforms, MySQL 5.7 is still supported on our last version. That way, you should be able to upgrade your Confluence instance without any problems. If you want to update your database to the latest version, you can do that after upgrading Confluence. Since MySQL 8 is not supported by Confluence 6.13, we can only upgrade the database after upgrading Confluence to 7.3.

Before you start to upgrade Confluence, please follow the instructions below about backing up and testing the upgrade in a Test Environment:

Now that your preparation is done, you can perform the upgrade by following the steps provided in our documentation:

If you run into any trouble or have questions along the way, please create a ticket at Confluence Server Support telling us your issue and we'll be glad to help!
Kind Regards,
Victoria Stolf | Atlassian Support
Frédéric Théry April 6, 2020

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your perfectly awesome, complete, and crystal clear answer.

Stay safe,

Kind regards,

ft

Like Victoria likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events