Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating a Table of JIRA Issues in Confluence

Sashidhar Rao June 1, 2018

Hi There,

I understand that there is the ability to create JIRA Issues from a table in Confluence.  But once these issues are created, should any updates on the JIRA or Confluence side for the Title or Description of the issue be reflected on the other side?  So far I have tried updating a Story description in JIRA, but the the table in Confluence does not show the update.  

Is there any other alternative?

1 answer

0 votes
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

Hi Sashidhar -

1) There are several ways to create a Jira issue from Confluence: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/use-jira-applications-and-confluence-together-724765436.html

2) You can also use the Jira Issues macro to insert an existing issue by key, or a whole list of issues based on a JQL query.

For #1 you'd see the linked issues at the top of the page (see linked doc).

For #2 the issue info appears in the page content and definitely updates to be current.  

One mistakes I've seen is creating a Confluence table and linking a single Jira issue in each row.  It's usually best to use the jiraissues macro to query your issues and let it generate the table for you.  You can easily choose which columns to see, etc.

Sashi Rao June 4, 2018

Thanks John,

I think the issue is more from a workflow perspective:

We use confluence to track requirements and logically, we would "Create issues from table".  Otherwise it would take too long to go one by one.

Using the Issue Macro, I would have to then delete that table in Confluence and create the macro, and then any new/updates for issues (requirements) would have to be done in JIRA?

I was hoping there was some way to just keep maintaining in Confluence or JIRA from the original table I created Issues from.

Like # people like this
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2018

Hi Sashi -

After playing with this a bit I don't think I can help.  I actually had never used Create Issues From Table, which looks like it will generate tickets based on values in a column of a Confluence table when you select text.  All of our teams either use Jira directly for creating issues, or if they use Confluence for requirements there's a 1:1 relationship between pages and stories.  That is, a single Confluence page links to a single Jira issue.  We haven't found the linking part to take long compared to how long it takes to write a good detailed user story or requirement.

Susan Becker February 3, 2021

I'm also wondering what happens when you update the Confluence page after the Jira issues have already been created using the "Create Issues From Table" function.  Does that break the links, keep the links and update the Jira issue, or keep the links and not update the Jira issues.

I have not been able to find any concrete documentation from Atlassian that indicates what happens in this scenario.  All documentation seems to be related to "create and monitor" and skips the idea of changes occurring resulting in a need to update the requirements/tasks after creation.  Do you have to update both manually or will updates push to the other?

rawia.karoui September 27, 2022

Hello Susan Becker,
Did you find a solution for maintaining Jira issues and confluence content updated?

Susan Becker September 27, 2022

No.  As far as I can tell the feature to update both in one edit does not exist.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events