Updating a Table in view mode

Angelo Cacciatore April 2, 2018

Hi Folks,

Sorry for this newbie questions. I just learned Confluence today and I have a question on updating a table.

Can I create a page with a table that only gives view access to everyone BUT allows users to update a few table cells.

What I am trying to do is set up a space for a temporary task where I have over 300 letters to update. I have 8 people working for me and I wanted to have something where my folks can go into the space...select an unassigned letter to work on...and select done when completed. That way folks are always update to date on what work is left to do.

What is the best way to build something like this?

Regards,

Angelo

2 answers

2 votes
Andreas Springer _Actonic_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2019

You could also have a look at Inline Table Editing. It allows users to edit table cells without going into edit mode. Sounds like exactly what you need, no? Hope this helps...

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2018

Why not create a new space and just let them work in there? Then you can move the finished items into whatever final destination you want them in where no one can edit them?

Angelo Cacciatore April 2, 2018

Thanks for responding.

Again, being a newbie I might not totally understand how confluence works. If I add a table on this page...can multiple people edit the page and update different cells of that table? Do they need to publish their updates immediately to keep the table up-to-date?

Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2018

Hi @Angelo Cacciatore - If you add a table to your page, multiple people should be able to edit the page and update different cells. That is, as long as those people have View & Edit permissions on that page.

You can check if you've set up your page permissions correctly by clicking the little lock at the top of the page Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 9.47.32 AM.png . The default setting is: "No restrictions. Everyone can view and edit this page", but it sounds like you want to switch it to "Editing restricted", so everyone can view the page but only those users that you manually add permissions for can edit the table.

When these folks are editing, they don't need to publish immediately, but they can publish as they go, and the published page will be updated with their latest additions - even if others are still editing the page. Users can also continue to edit and save drafts, and choose to publish when they're ready. Totally up to you and your workflow. 

Hope this helps!

Angelo Cacciatore April 3, 2018

Thank you Ada for clarifying. 

One more question around this if you don't mind...what happens when 2 or more people update the same cell before publishing and then they publish it?

Regards,

Angelo

Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2018

Hi @Angelo Cacciatore - If multiple users are editing the same cell and one person goes to publish the page, they'll be asked if they want to "Publish all changes?". If they select "Update", then everyone's changes are published - so whatever is in the cell at the time that they hit the button will be published. The alternative option is "Show changes", where they can view the changes users have made to the page. 

Hope this helps! I think it's a bit more intuitive in practice than what I'm describing, so I would definitely give it a try with a few users first if you're concerned.

Angelo Cacciatore April 3, 2018

okay, sounds like a good plan. Today was the first collaborative day with the group and it went pretty smoothly.

Sorry, one more question...is it good practice, in confluence, in the type of situation I described, to have my users edit the page...make their updates quickly...and publish immediately so as to not hold onto the page or does this defeat the purpose of a collaborative tool like Confluence. I'm old school so still hard for me to get around these dynamic software programs.

Really...thanks for your help.

Regards,

Angelo

Ada Chen
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2018

Hi @Angelo Cacciatore - In your original post, you said that you want users to select an unassigned letter to work on and then update the status when it is completed - so it sounds like you want to tell users to "Edit" the page when they are available to work.

When they are in the editor, they will be able to select the letter they want to work on by @mentioning their name next to it and then they can "Publish" the page. Even if they don't "Publish" the page immediately, their change will be saved as a draft that other users can see, so someone else shouldn't claim the same letter (we call this collaborative editing). Then, when a user is ready to mark the letter as done, they can come back to the page and "Edit" again.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Angelo Cacciatore April 4, 2018

It does.  Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events