It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Update Expired SSL Certificate in Confluence Server

The SSL certificate used in our Confluence Server instance has expired, so I want to update it with the renewed certs.

When I run

/opt/atlassian/confluence/jre/bin/keytool -import -alias confluence -keystore /opt/atlassian/confluence/conf/file.jks -file bundle.crt

I get the following error:

keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Certificate reply does not contain public key for <confluence>

What am I missing here?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I was able to fix this by doing the following:

1. Create a PFX file using the certificate and the key:
    `openssl pkcs12 -export -out /home/user.name/certs-2020-22.pfx -inkey /home/user.name/new.key -in /home/user.name/new.crt`
  2. Create a new KeyStore (.jks) file using the PFX file we just created:
    `keytool -importkeystore \ -srckeystore /home/user.name/certs-2020-22.pfx -srcstoretype PKCS12 -srcstorepass add_password \ -deststorepass add_password -destkeypass add_password -destkeystore /opt/atlassian/confluence/conf/certs-2020-22.jks`
  3. Update the following fields in `server.xml`: keyAlias, keystoreFile, keystorePass
  4. Restart Confluence: `/etc/init.d/confluence restart`

Thank you so much for this, It worked perfectly fine to update the SSL certificate on Confluence and Jira with the new certificate.

Just in case, if someone needs additional info - server.xml is located at the installation folder for Confluence or Jira /conf/server.xml. I used keyAlias = "1" keyStoreFile="path_of_jks_file" and keyStorePass="add_password_value".

Like Sean likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

4,117 views 4 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you