Unable to login into Confluence after setting up Okta

Sam Lin March 27, 2019

I see the below error in atlassian-confluence.log

2019-03-27 15:24:57,839 WARN [http-nio-8090-exec-8] [atlassian.seraph.auth.DefaultAuthenticator] login login : 'Sam.Lin' tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found. Deleting remember me cookie.

organization is not managing any users directly in Confluence. 

how ever the integration works with JIRA but not for Confluence.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2019

Hello Sam,

It sounds and looks like your cut over to Okta has worked, but a little too well in this case. This is due to your receiving the USE permission error. This is most likely due to the user being created or added from a new directory without the permission to either use the application via Okta or they do not have the “confluence-use” group.

With this said, please verify within Okta that the user has access to the application, along with ensuring the user within Confluence is added to the “confluence-user” group to grant them access to login/use the application.

Please let us know if this helps to allow the user access to the application.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Sam Lin April 1, 2019

@Stephen Sifers  Thanks for your inputs. 

it did not worked the user is in “confluence-user” group and i still see the same error user unable to login into Confluence. 

is there something I'm missing ?

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2019

Hello Sam,

Thank you for checking if the user was present within Confluence-users. The error you reported means there is an issue with the user and their permissions. This can be a few things that need to be reviewed, such as:

There is a disconnect between Okta and the user account you’re attempting to access which is causing this. Since the user is able to connect outside of Okta, there this is most likely a disconnect between the Okta configuration and Confluence’s user directory.

I’ve not worked directly with Okta, but have heard their support is rather responsive. You could also reach out to them to ensure you’re configured correctly: Open a case with Okta

Please let us know if any of the above helped, or id you reached out to Okta support.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events