Unable to login after restoring a Confluence backup (Bug???)

Heiko Haas July 12, 2017

Hi,

I have made a backup with all attachments in Confluence 6.2.3. Then I have setup a complete new installation with Confluence 6.3.1 and switched from Postegres 9.5 to 9.6.

I configured the new installation and connected to my JIRA 7.4.0 user database - everything is fine, I can login, etc.

But after I restored my backup in Confluence I cannot login anymore. The restoring process was fine, no errors where shown. I was thrown back to the login screen of Confluence, but I cannot login anymore.

When I try to reset the password via email I received an email to reset my password. After I entered a new password a Confluence Error was thrown:

om.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.OperationFailedException: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidAuthenticationException: Application failed to authenticate
    at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdServiceImpl.updateUserCredential(CrowdServiceImpl.java:431)

caused by: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.InvalidAuthenticationException: Application failed to authenticate
    at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestExecutor$MethodExecutor.throwError(RestExecutor.java:618) 

And a lot more...

Is there any chance to import my backup? Is this a new bug?

EDIT

Additional info one day later:

After I restored the backup, there is still the "You have temporary access to administrative functions. Drop access...." in the header. I will not disappear. It is always there.

And I did a new installation with all users managed by Confluence - no JIRA connection to the user data base.

First I did a c lean installation with the embedded Confluence database - the import works fine! I exported the database again, so I have got a 6.3.1 backup.

Now I did a clean installation 6.3.1 based on a Postgres 9.6.3 database. All user managed by Confluence. Everything is working fine. But when I imported my 6.3.1 backup - the same problem. I cannot log in anymore, "Drop access" in the header, it is not possible to reset the password, error like above...

Looks like a bug to me...

1 answer

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

Looks like there is a problem with Confluence using your JIRA for authentication. Can you log into JIRA?

Heiko Haas July 13, 2017

Yes, I have got no problem to log into JIRA. It seems as if the backup has overwritten a setting to connect to JIRA.

I used the admin account of JIRA to manage Confluence, too.

Michael Brown [Ascend] October 8, 2017

This is a known issue. I just responded to another comment about this...you need to manually update the PW in the Database. https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-158390.html

QA Team March 28, 2019

hi there, is this issue fixed? I am facing the same issue , cannot login after restore the confluence to another server to test on the upgrade.

Michael Brown [Ascend] April 3, 2019

I would recommend recovering the admin password in the database, or by using the link provided above. 

Pepper UK November 27, 2019

We've had a similar issue and have now recovered the admin password.  However, all the previous confluence users are still unable to log in.  What further needs to be done?

As a background, all our jira/confluence users are set up with LDAP authentication.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events