Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to insert macros in Confluence 4.1

Jason Duan January 29, 2012

Hi guys,

I'm runing Conflence 4.1 (Evaluation Version) with IE8/FireFox 9 on Windows XP SP3. My Java version is 6.0.30.

I have been unable to insert macros on a page since the first time my Confluence started. The preview page was loading and loading all the time, and even though I clicked the Insert button, nothing happened. Please see the attached screen shot for reference.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Help will be really appreciated.

Jason

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 29, 2012

In Confluence Admin | Plugins, enable Safe mode and see whether it works then. If so, you've likely got a rogue plugin that is affecting the editor. Enable your plugins one by one until you've tracked down the offending one.

Hi David,

First of all, thank you for your reply.

However, I couldn't use your solution. In the plugin page, I got an unexpected error. And there is no system plugin showing. See the attached screen shot below.

And also in the log file, I found this error message:

[atlassian.plugin.servlet.DefaultServletModuleManager] getFilter Unable to create filter
-- referer: http://localhost:8095/plugins/servlet/upm | url: /rest/prototype/1/i18n | userName: admin
com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.sun.xml.bind.v2.model.impl.RuntimeModelBuilder

Any ideas?

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2012

Hi Jason,

That looks like an error due to the wrong version of JAXB being picked up - http://confluence.atlassian.com/plugins/viewsource/viewpagesrc.action?pageId=225120161 Have you got multiple JVMs on the machine Confluence is running on? Also, which version of JAXB is reported if you run xjc -version in a command window? Should be something similar to:

xjc version "JAXB 2.1.10 in JDK 6"

JavaTM Architecture for XML Binding(JAXB) Reference Implementation, (build JAXB 2.1.10 in JDK 6)

JAXB 2.1 was added in Java 6 Update 4 and the above output is from Java 6 Update 29, but Update 30 may have included an update to JAXB 2.2 which may cause problems.

Andrew.

I was using Java 6.0.24 yesterday but got the same problem.

There are multiple JVMs runing on my machine. So you doubt about memory running out?

xjc is not recognized in cmd. I guess I don't have JAXB and never set the path for JAXB.

What should I do now?

Thank you.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2012

Just noticed the comment about memory. Was that in the second screenshot after trying to enable safe mode? Might be my browser, but I can't see a second screenshot, just the first one on the original question.

If the second screenshot indicated an out of memory error have a look at the instructions for Windows at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Fix+Out+of+Memory+Errors+by+Increasing+Available+Memory and try setting the following in setenv.bat:

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

if you've already got maximum (-Xmx) set to 512m try increasing this to 1024m

Andrew.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

You shouldn't have to install JAXB or set it's path separately, it should be part of the JVM. Getting an unrecognized command for xjc probably just means that your JAVA_HOME\bin directory is not in your PATH. If you change to your JAVA_HOME\bin directory you should have an xjc executable in there, what does it report if you run xjc -version from that directory?

Also, if you have multiple JVM's installed, what is currently set as your JAVA_HOME - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Setting+the+JAVA_HOME+Variable+in+Windows it could be that Confluence is picking up an old JVM.

Andrew.

0 votes
Jason Duan January 30, 2012

Hi David,

The issue is not caused by the lack of memory, as I already had it set to everything you sugguested even prior to your post. But you're right about Confluence pointing to an old JVM due to multiple JVMs running on my computer. I corrected the JAVA_HOME setting and everything works now.

Thank you very much for your help. Really appreciate it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events