Unable to import XML space to Confluence Server exported earlier from Cloud

Unknown User February 21, 2020

I am trying to import XML Confluence spaces from my cloud Confluence account into my on-prem Confluence server.

I get the following message after 20% of importing progress (I changed my e-mail address with the dummy address)

Import failed. Check your server logs for more information. com.atlassian.confluence.importexport.ImportExportException: Unable to complete import because the data does not match the constraints in the Confluence schema. Cause: MySQLIntegrityConstraintViolationException: Duplicate entry 'user.name@gmail.com' for key 'unq_lwr_username'

After that the importing stops. I was looking for a solution in the Community articles but I could not find anything to solve my problem. Why is this happening in the first place? Shouldn't it be a simple and tested by Atlassian data migration process?

My Confluence Server version is 7.3.1

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2020

Hello Bogdan,

Thank you for reporting this. You mentioned you had looked for a solution in the articles, but you weren't able to find anything. Have you had a look at this article yet?

The error is the same, and there is a solution for you on that page. Could you tell me if you have done that already?

Thank you!

Shannon

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2020

The page that you have mentioned did not help me as such but it directed me where I should start experimenting. After looking for a solution I found the one that worked for me.

I unpacked the space export ZIP file and looked through the entities.xml file for the duplicate entry which caused the trouble . So, I looked for the 'user.name@gmail.com' which caused the problem and simply renamed it to user.name2@gmail.com. After editing the XML file, I zipped it back. There was no such user in my Confluence instance so the import was accepted. 

The problem that some people may have with this solution is that all imported pages have corrupted data about authors. In my case it is:

Created by Unknown User (5c2f5bc58a78885a3c19debf), last modified by Unknown User (user.name2@gmail.com)

Anyway, I am happy that I could get out of the Confluence Cloud server with my content before the expiry date. For some reason, it is easy to migrate content from Server to Confluence Cloud with the Migration Assistant but, as you can see, it is not so easy to go back.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2020

Hi Bogdan,

Glad to hear you've at least gotten further along!

Could you see if you can create the user user.name2@gmail.com and then disable it, per the following article:

Let me know how that goes.

Shannon

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2020

I did that and it worked indeed. Thank you!

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2020

Excellent! Thank you for confirming.

Take care, and have a pleasant week.

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events